SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nighthawk0911

Better Boy vs. Big Beef - Best Tasting/Performing VFN+ Tomato Contest

nighthawk0911
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

For those of you who live in Florida and stubbornly insist on growing veggies in nematode/disease riddled sandy 9B soil (like myself) you know that VFN+ hybrid (and cherries) tomatoes are the only varieties that reliably produce. Spare me your speeches about prima donna Heirlooms and save them for people who grow their veggies in air conditioned greenhouses or in Orange Home Depot Buckets. Most heirlooms are a joke in FLORIDA - been there done that. The nematodes in the soil here are as big & mean as rattlers.

So far the old reliable Better Boy VFN is the best performing tomato I have found. Better Boy's flavor is "good", but not great. I am looking for hybrids that perform as well or better than Better Boy, but with better flavor. I am growing other VFN's this year Big Beef, Celebrity, Bella Rosa, Beefmaster, Flora-Dade, etc.

I have high expectations for Big Beef, but am curious to here what are the best TASTING VFN+ toms that other people have grown or have experience that surpass Better Boy for flavor and/or performance.

Thanks

SW Florida 9B

Comments (16)