SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Low-Cost Tools for Better Growing - Tested!

ewwmayo
7 years ago

As many of you know, I'm using a variety of tools to help me gain a deeper understanding of growing and keep my plants doing well. Wanted to share my thoughts on some of the low-cost tools I've tried out and verified:

(Images included so you know the exact model tested.)

Handheld Meter: $11 USD

• Stated Accuracy: +/- 4%

• Actual Accuracy: -10%

• Verified against: Extech LT300 Light Meter

• Comments: Accuracy not so good, but very usable to get relative light intensities in a given area under the same spectrum.

• Not useful in determining DLI or spectrum as this is an instantaneous reading and with corrected readings for human vision.

• Take care where you put your arm/hand to not block the sensor.

• Has lots of max/min and other features of marginal utility.

• Recommendation: Absolutely worth it. Get one and you'll be surprised how quickly light intensity decreases!

Spectroscope: $27 USD

• Type: Diffraction
  • Comments: Useful in verifying the spectrum of artificial grow lights, particularly if no spectrum is provided.
  • The eyepiece is extremely tiny.
  • It's very difficult to capture the spectrum shown with a camera, but possible with great determination.
  • Limited ongoing usefulness.
  • Recommendation: Save your money and buy grow lights from reputable sellers/manufacturers instead.

EC Meter: $7 USD

• Stated Accuracy: +/- 2%
  • Actual Accuracy: +/- 4.5%
  • Verified against: EC 2760 Calibration Solution
  • Comments: Accuracy is quite good for measuring μS/cm when watering and fertigating.
  • I use it always instead of going by the generic/broad dilution instructions found on fertilizer bottle labels. This allows me to fertilize at a specific EC.
  • Works well with the pour-thru method when checking soil CEC (by overall EC trend).
  • It is important to buy one that adjusts for solution temperature.
  • Note that the multiplication factor between PPM and μS/cm can different between EC meter manufacturers.
  • Do NOT buy a three in one unit with pH testing.
  • Care Tips: Buy cheap distilled water from the store to clean the electrode. Wipe and allow to air dry always before storage.
  • The generic brand EC calibration solution is much cheaper than anything by Hanna.
  • Recommendation: Worth it and never wonder how much fertilizer to use again.

pH Meter: $7 USD

• Stated Accuracy: +/- 0.2 pH
  • Actual Accuracy: N/A, can be adjusted
  • Verified against: 4.0 and 6.86 pH buffer solution
  • Comments: I use this for testing tap and rain water pH.
  • Works fairly well with the pour-thru method when checking soil pH.
  • The setpoint drifts over time, so if you want to be very precise with your readings, calibrate each time before use. The buffer solution doesn't keep forever, so buy extra packs.
  • Care Tips: Ensure the electrode is rinsed thoroughly with tap water after use.
  • Do NOT store in distilled water, you will destroy your meter.
  • Do NOT store your pH tester dry, you will destroy your meter. Use pH electrode storage solution instead (NaCl). The generic bottles are much cheaper than anything Hanna offers. Top up every few months.
  • The generic brand calbration PH buffer packets online are also much cheaper than anything by Hanna.
  • pH testers have a limited lifespan of just a few years. This is why it's better not to buy a combo tester unless you are doing continuous monitoring.
  • Recommendation: Debatable. If you care about water pH then it's a good tool to have. Maintaining the meter is a bit annoying.

Overall Summary:

And that's it! If you are patient, the best way to get these meters is online through something like eBay. Shipping usually comes from China and takes 1-2 months. If you you hate waiting, expect to pay 10x more on Amazon or at local hydroponics stores.

Not saying that the more expensive brand-name tools are not worth it. But if you are just looking to get a reasonably accurate reading, then these do the trick.

For around $40 USD you can get all the useful meters (no spectroscope), along with the associated storage/calibration solutions. I think that's not too bad for more serious growers.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County