SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Help me relax and enjoy my cottage garden?

robo (z6a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have an urban garden that is quite orderly and where I have zero tolerance for weeds or overly exuberant self seeders.

Recently I have taken over the gardens at a family vacation home and I just don't want to devote the same time to weeding and cleanup as I do at home. In addition the former owner planted "enthusiastic" plants like ribbon grass, columbine, lily oft he valley, and violets. Finally the garden also serves as an all-u-can-eat buffet for deer and snowshoe hares.

the garden seems like a cottage style to me with lots of flowers, holly hocks and a general less formal appearance.

So tell me about your low maintenance, flower filled, casual garden. What kind of weeding routine do you have? What do you do to minimize effort and maximize reward?

I have about 1.5 acres of grass and garden to play around with so I don't really need to rein in my garden thugs.

But...this is a whole new experience for me. How much to weed? Pull out all the forget me nots or leave them? Just go with my bullies?

Here's the biggest plot ....all the blue is forget me nots right now. It's still pretty early in our season but there's certainly a lot in there from black eyed Susans to heartleaf saxifrage.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!