SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

HBO Movie about LBJ

sheilajoyce_gw
7 years ago

I enjoyed the movie for HBO starring Bryan Cranston. He did a nice job of making the man human. But I have always thought that what Lady Bird did for our country has been ignored. Many years ago I mentioned this to my kids as we were chatting over dinner. They had no idea what her beautification has done for our country and thought it sounded unnecessary and silly. They are lucky that they did not see a need for it these days. I grew up in central Illinois, and I remember some of the ugliness before her campaign. Strip mining slag heaps several stories high beside the highway. Acres of tire dumps in the countryside. Billboards lining the highways and main streets down town. Part of her beautification campaign was to encourage Americans to "plant a tree, a shrub or a bush." Comedians made fun of her Texas accent with that slogan. But it wasn't long before people looked around their country and cities and thought they could do better. Billboards were gradually removed and even banned. Slag heaps and large tire dumps were removed or fenced from view. People and cities planted around homes and boulevards. She opened our eyes to how much better we could do.

Comments (4)