SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evdesert

Pixie mandarin

evdesert 9B Indio, CA
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I decided today that the mesquite tree stump that was taking up valuable sprinkler/ plant space in my yard had to go. In its place I planted a 5 gallon Pixie mandarin on C35. Some before and after photos.

Tree stump after removal

Pixie mandarin planted 5/22/16 · More Info

After the pixie went into the ground

I hope it survives my summer heat, it's kind of late to be planting trees in the desert but I can shade it if necessary.

Evan

Comments (68)

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Inspiration for us northern citrus growers:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-couple-breed-lemon-trees-for-prairie-windowsills-1.2776453

It should be coming to market soon, I keep calling them at the Uni to get updates.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

I saw this picture of the windowsill Centurion Lemon on the internet.

Cute! I want one too.

Cory

• Related Discussions

Do I still have time to plant a mandarin tree

Q

Comments (7)
    Owari Satsuma will be sold as a dwarf if it is grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock. It's pretty easy to find in the Sacramento area--a lot of citrus trees sold throughout northern California seem to be from just a few growers, so the chances are good that your nursery in question will have one; it's a pretty common tree. Or they can order it for you. It grows slow and has a lovely droopy habit. Fruit can be not so sweet in the first few years, give it a bit of time. There are other types of Satsumas but I never see them for sale. catkim, I like Pixie mandarins, they are my favorite--and they are recommended for coastal climates. In my area--ss 17--Clementine (Algerian) in addition to Satsuma are really tasty, very sweet, and I also like Fremont mandarin (I think it is a Clementine/Ponkan hybrid.) Yours would prolly be even better than mine since you're a bit warmer in SD. HTH.
    ...See More

UCR September Budwood release

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, I hought I'd post an update on my budding experience. My success last year and my research led me to think I knew what I was doing. Hubris is a harsh teacher. I don't know if it was time of year, bad technique, or phase of the moon, but it was an abject failure. I ended up with seven successful buds, and those haven't started to grow yet (though they aren't dead.) Still, spring is here, the birds and bees are flitting about, love is in the air, and my rootstock is still alive, so I'm going to try again. Howver, UCR didn't ship my January order, and in talking with them I found out that they may not be selling to buyers without a registration number in the future. So, since I have 100 rootstocks and no immediate source of budwood, I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in selling me some bud sticks. I have a wide range of interests (as can be seen from my first post,) but I'll consider anything. If you have some you'd like to sell me, please contact me directly and we can discuss it.
    ...See More

Have you reach your ultimate collection?

Q

Comments (69)
    Currently I have (in various stages of development -- some are new grafts): MANDARINS AND MANDARIN HYBRIDS: Armstrong Satsuma (x3) - fruiting Xie Shan Satsuma - fruiting Owari Satsuma - fruiting 'Shasta Gold' mandarin Seedless Kishu mandarin (x 2) W. Murcott Afourer mandarin (presumed -- could possibly be Tango) Keraji mandarin Sugar Belle hybrid Shiranui hybrid - fruiting Clementine x Yuzu mandarin - fruiting Indio Mandarinquat (x 3) Pixie mandarin (bud graft that is still green but has not pushed yet!) ORANGE: Panzarella orange POMMELO OR POMMELO HYBRIDS: Oroblanco hybrid - fruiting LIME, LEMON OR LEMON HYBRIDS: Key lime - fruiting Meyer lemon - fruiting PONCIRUS TRIFOLIATA HYBRIDS: Citrandarin (Poncirus trifoliata x mandarin) in ground - fruiting Citrumelo (in ground and used for rootstock) - fruiting Tai-tri (Taiwanica x P. trifoliata) in ground and used for rootstock. SMALL SEEDLINGS: Sweet lemon, Mandarinquat, Sour orange. RECENT GRAFTS (NOT SURE IF SUCCESSFUL): Washington Navel So yeah, I'm done. No more until I can get fruit from all these and evaluate. Unless I can find a good lemon! LOL!
    ...See More

Mandarin tree problems

Q

Comments (1)
    The first thing that comes to mind are sucking insects like aphids or you have a real bad case of citrus leaf miners. Open up the curled leaves and see if you notice anything abnormal.
    ...See More
    7 years ago

Whoa I have never seen those pics... that's a lot of fruit for such a tiny plant! I will keep you posted as to the status of these....

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Please do! I would buy a few of those!!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Wow Steve!!!! What an amazing rooftop garden! I LOVE it! Evan, your yard sounds incredible!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Oh and I want some of those centurion lemons!!! Can't wait till they're available. I wonder if we can get on a wait list? Hobby, have you asked?

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Cory welcome to the pixie party! Lol.

Hobby, I've actually read that article before, looks very promising for you guys up north.

Laura, thank you.

The wind has been howling for the last couple days here in the desert, my little tree is in a very exposed part of my yard. It has no walls protecting it, I hope it does ok. The new growth it had when I planted it is starting to shrivel up, not sure if it's transplant shock or the constant beating from the wind doing it. Oh well, only time will tell.

Evan

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

There are many varieties of citrus trees that do well in low light levels. There are more varieties that won't grow. If my Sweetlee tangerine tree cutting had rooted I would have such a tree that grew better in low winter light than in the summer sun. The cutting is was from leaf node 115 and close to if not bearing age. My tangerine tree from seed would not do well producing fruit because of the tremendous amount of light needed to produce the sugar in the fruit.

Most people are sold on the tree called a Meyer lemon. They do very poorly in low light and throw temper tantrums if the light or temperature changes any. A very well growing low light seed grow fruiting lemon tree can be seen

successful low light lemon tree

tree from thread above.

The tree is in the center of the room under a few recessed light.

Trees grown from seeds/cuttings do better than grafted trees for almost all varieties as long as the soil is right for that trees own roots. Accomplished by growing it n a pot. This will give you citrus of any variety a better chance.

Most important and devastating strike against window citrus is the FACT that anyone growing citrus up north probably has LOW-E INSULATED DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOW. The low-e film blocks more than 50% of the visible light and near 100% of that wonderful soil and leaf warming heat. I have seen pictures of most of your windows here on citrus forum. My window are 123 year old original rope and pulley double hung, triple glazed home made windows with an air tight storm window behind it. I also clean the glass every fall the take my windows from dirty 75% light transmission level to near 90%.

You can also improve your odd by painting the sides white so that the sun rising in the winter east south east is reflected back onto you tree and the sun setting in the west southwest will be reflected.

Plants do not grow in the low-e window that those people have that can afford citrus trees up north

Steve

Cory I have Meiwa kumquat trees from seed sprouting from the fruit I picked off the tree you gave me last summer. Grafted Meiwa is doing well as are the 2 seed Fukushu trees.

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Love my Pixie mandarin; it is the only one I grow; and my lemon farm workers usually get more than I do.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

That's nice to hear Steve that the trees are doing so well and you even got baby trees from the Meiwa.

Cory

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Glad to hear it's good John, mine is obviously a few years away from bearing age but I'm excited!

Cory, how are things going?

Evan

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hi Evan, the orchids still look bad and many have probably died since they got fried in April. It's a little discouraging. I am still waiting a while though before I toss them. Sometimes they will sprout from the roots but I don't have much hope. The ones that were lower in the greenhouse or beneath the citrus trees are recovering somewhat. The citrus trees haven't done too much yet since it has been cool and cloudy for weeks. This week is much better and we had 88°F today and more high temps are forecast for the next few days and bright sun. That should make them leaf out nicely. I have one Xie Shan that looks like it will not make it though and also my Cocktail Pumelo shows no growth signs and may also have died. It must have really got hot and bright in there which definitely was not in the weather forecast. All of my neighbors were away that week too so there was no one I could ask to even just open the door to let some air in. My sister was going to come and check on it but her car broke down and she lives almost 200 miles away. She got there too late. My other relatives were at the wedding too so the greenhouse was on its own. I had left all the automatic vents sealed up as the night temperatures were forecast to be in the 20s and the forecast was rain all week and daytime highs in the 30s. The shadecloth was not up yet either. That's always the risk when you go on vacation, especially just before the season changes.

Cory

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Cory, sorry to hear about your orchids, I know they are difficult to grow and it stinks losing plants when we work so hard to take care of them. Cocktail pomelo is a known weak cultivar that's why they graft it to vigorous rootstocks to give it some strength. Mine has taken almost 2 years to show any real growth so don't give up on it, it could just be taking its time to decide on when to start growing again. I'm glad to hear your temps are starting to warm up, that means more growth for your entire garden. Take care and keep us posted on your orchids, Xie Shan and cocktail pomelo.

Evan

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Evan , Cory, Mikey , Steve , Hobby, . Evan you have such a beautiful yard and do you know how to pick your tree's always beauties Be. I am glad I live up north where citrus are hard to find I have zero self control I would be buying everything in sight . Hi Cory here is a couple of pics I promised . Here is a pic of my Page I repotted last weekend believe it or not we planted it in a rain barrel lol. Can you believe it snowed here last week ? Brian

here is a pic of my Shasta Gold .
    Tango.

7 years ago

Hi Brian! So glad you are still around on occasion to share pics of your amazing trees!!! I literally gasped as I scrolled down and saw them loaded with fruit. Incredible! I have heard your weather has been tough this year, well your trees look none the worse for it.

I hope you can post your harvest when it starts coming in. I haven't let no local trees to buy stop me lol, I will have 30 by the time everyone arrives. I know that is a bit ridiculous but I couldn't help myself gotta maximize on shipping! I think that now I am converting everyone to 5-1-1 it will be way smoother sailing ahead, as it stands all my trees made it through winter and some even continued to fruit even in a really bad mix inside all winter. I will be posting pics once have everyone repotted in the coming few weeks.

Laura and Vladimir I hope you guys are seeing Brian's pics... awesome right? I don't think you were around last year when he last posted them.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Wow!!! Brian, your trees are incredible! Where do you live? Do you keep them in a greenhouse all winter? Trees like those give those of us up north hope!

• User
    7 years ago

I hope mine look that good some day!

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Just beautiful Brian! Thanks for the pics.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Cory sorry to hear of the greenhouse cooking of your orchids. Unfortunately I am very familiar with greenhouse cooking. Just this spring I cooked a third of #2 fukushu's leaves off and lost 6 inches of upper growth. She looks beat up now but is actually doing very well. The damage was mostly just visual. Still very frustrating in the spring when hard freezes prevent taking our plants out side but one day can cook our greenhouse plants

Brian

Fantastic looking trees this spring. keep it up.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Hobby it's been awhile. Wow that's alot of tree's coming your way lol. It's a nice hobby although isn't it , alot cheaper than collecting sports cars . I heard you had terrible storm's is there anything thing you can tie your tree's to . Does the wind dry the leaves out ? When I used to raise mine in the house after the first couple of days the leaves either blew off or the leaves got major sunburn then fell l . Hobby last week we had snow and now the temps are near 90 and we are in for a couple of weeks of this . We haven't had the storms you've had but I think this is our weekend for that . This winter I had a ton of fruit off my tree's the fruit that is still on are the left overs which are disappearing quickly . January through March is when everything is at peak ripeness and having so many varieties keeps the season going they all reach ripeness at different times love it you never get bored. Most of my tree's are 4yrs old . The Shasta Gold is only 4 years and was coated so it doesn't take that long . I am looking forward to see your new trees . Hobby we are moving this year so we have been extremely busy . Our new backyard faces the same way as our old one so lot's of sun and I will have twice the room to play with Yippee. We are not looking forward to moving the tree's to the new house my Page tree is well over a hundred ponds watered , should be fun . We are going to buy an attached GH so I will be able to open my bedroom window in the winter and smell the beautiful scents in there. Would you ever consider a GH? Soooooo nice talking to you again .

Hi Laura I see you've got the collecting bug to lol. You and Evan and hobby always seem to luck out with some real beauties. Laura I live in Ottawa Canada way north of you so getting citrus to fruit and not only fruit but to taste fantastic can be done . You will love it .

Hi Cory I hope your tree's comeback fast . I am sure when the hot and humid weather is back they will respond quickly . Sooo sad about your orchids I bet you've been collecting new ones fast .

Hey Steve I've seen the success you've had with grafting good on you . Your tree's always look so great . I was fairly successful with the cuttings this winter now if I could only figure out where to put them.

Viadmir don't worry about when and if your tree's will grow just worry when they do grow where they will go like I'm dealing with lol .

Everyone have a great night.

Brian

• User
    7 years ago

Hi Brian, nice to make your aquaintance. We have been in our house a long time and I don't even want to think what it would be like to move. I dream about an attached GH. Lucky you!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Viadmir the pleasure is all mine . Very nice to meet you . I saw your tree's on another post they are so beautiful very healthy. It sure is nice having the trees back outside right .Your so right moving is never fun but I am gaining a sunny backyard which is 2 almost 3 times larger than the one I have now and I am so looking forward to an attached GH . Do you have a GH ? Greenhouse's make this hobby so much easier. We put up a new GH last year what a shame I don't think the taking it down and putting it back up would do it any good so we will leave it behind . That's the thing with this hobby you always have to plan a head , the tree's are going to get larger so do you keep them contained or just let them do their thing and grow to a large size . Have a great night.

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Brian!!! Good to see you again! Your trees and yard look fantastic as always. I love threads like this!

Evan

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Nice to "meet" you Brian! How I would love to have an attached greenhouse (or any greenhouse for that matter!). Your trees are inspiring!

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Pixie got a white wash this morning in preparation for the 105 degree temps next week.

Evan

7 years ago

Good luck on your move! Yes it will be tons of work but so worth it when you get that amazing new greenhouse set up! Yes I will definitely be getting a greenhouse too at some point, all my trees will fit in my grow room for another year or 2 at most and then it will be time. I am on 40 acres so I have plenty of room... I just have to do major research and figure out the heating as that will be the tricky part so I don't go broke. We will probably tie it into a big house renovation and might go geothermal... we shall see!

My grow room holds pretty good humidity so the leaves don't dry out when they go outside.... but this year it was so hot in April I did scorch them a bit... nothing too bad but some leaves are a bit bleached. The figs got scorched big time- oops! The wind more than anything tore some leaves off... especially on the new arrivals.

I showed my husband your pictures and his eyes bugged out... I think he is even excited at the prospect of amazing fruit to pick in the darkest and dreariest months of the year. Thanks for being so inspiring! It only took 4 years to get to that size? Awesome! I know your greenhouse must have accelerated your progress.

Thanks for popping in Brian I hope you will come back after your move and show us your set up. :)

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Brian, I found an old pic of my bonsai key lime tree from about 4 months ago. Then I took a pic as of today to show the difference. I failed at the bonsai part...

January

Key lime tree on C35 · More Info

May

Key lime tree on C35 · More Info

What a difference a little warm weather and some fertilizer can make!

Evan

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Brian, looking forward to seeing your new greenhouse. I didn't realize it was going to be attached. Will you be able to enter from your house now too? It will be heavenly in there in the winter.

Cory

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hello Hobby , Evan , Cory , Laura Steve and Viadmir what a welcome back thankyou guy's so much . Thank you all for the nice complement's now I wont be able to fit my head through the GH door and they are double door . Hobby so glad to hear your hinking of getting a GH it will make things so much easier and your tree's will just love it . Your husband is so going to love the fruit you get off the tree they are so good . IF I can give you some advice when you decide on a GH go the largest you can afford and afford to heat I am on my second one now and they have already out grown the new GH my fault I keep planting my tree's in huge pots . Hobby the weather is beautiful here now thanks so much for sending the heat this way . I love your collection by the way how is your Chinotto doing I hope it's OK.

Evan Evan are bonsai not supposed to be under a foot lol , wow what a beautiful tree . Evan by the way thanks for your suggestion on frreezing the lime juice into ice cube tray we still have lot's and they are great in the beverages. 105 say what wow here it's going to be in the low 90's all weekend Yahoo. I so love your yard and tree's !!!!!

Cory we are so excited for the new GH . We just hope we can find a contractor to do the floor and put it up fingers crossed . It will be so nice to open the bedroom window up and catch the scents coming out of the GH. I might place a small ladder and climb down into the GH from the bedroom window shouldn't be much of a drop the home is a bungalow. So excited Cory fingers crossed.

Hi Laura so so nice to meet you to . Although I have not posted much lately we are just so busy but I always manage to find time every day to check out the forum and I just love your enthusiasm and tree's they are soooooo beautiful. You could easilly become a professional photographer your photos are always spectacular . All you guy's have inspired me . I always thought that I was the only out there with that kind of enthusiasm.

Have a great night everyone

Brian

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Brian!!! I am SOOOOOOOO happy to see you back. I thought I lost you here for ever! I have been wishing you would post a pic of your trees for weeks and what a surprise when I finally got yo sit down and see this thread..You made my day buddy! Sorry I have not written to you. It's been crazy here with my Dad and Mom, but they are better. I have been trying so hard to focus on my trees and it's been hard and your pics and and seeing you has given me a boost. Thank you. I can't believe you are moving. I 'll take that greenhouse..lol I hope the people that buy your house like plants as much as you did. I am so happy for you. So happy to see you back)

Even, just beautiful and good work. By the way, thank you for your offer the other day. Nice work on that tree and I love how it will collect water when it rains. It must cost you and arm and a leg to water without catch basins.

Cory, I am so sorry about your loss. I still have the Cattleya you sent me. It's outside now. Every thing will work out for you. Been thinking about you these days and I should write soon. Just know you are in my thoughts.

Good night all. Iy;s bene a very long day, but at least it's nice! All the windows are open for the first time and the fan is blowing directly on me as I type this in my 3 seasons room listening to the water falls.

Hobby, I had no idea you lived on so much l;and. I have always wanted to live on land like that. It must be quiet and just beautiful. Please take a pic some day of the open land with clouds. I would love that))

Good nighty all

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Friends in the yard · More Info

Caught this guy hanging out on some new growth on my Eureka lemon tree. The praying mantis population has exploded in my yard this year, they're everywhere!

Evan

• User
    7 years ago

You are lucky!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hello Mikey my friend so nice hearing from you . So happy to be back with all my friends here but my time is soooooo limited we have been working so hard at our other house . We were on holiday's this week and all we have been doing is work and planning . We are going back to the house to day to do some more work . Mikey what an incredible week here it's been about 90 degrees all week and last week we had snow . I see you had a much easier winter this year and so did we except the snowstorm that dropped 2ft of snow in 8hrs that was incredible never happened before . Glad to hear your parent are soo much better give them a huge and hi for me please . Sounds like your tree's made it through the winter good , excellent . Have you seen your cute frogs? We have so much planning to do with the new GH exciting I would give you the old one if I could just not sure yet if the people buying this house will want it . So nice hearing from you buddy you just made my day .

Evan very cool some summers we get those to . Do they harm the citrus in any way ? They are not like grasshopper's and chew up everything in site I hope . Wow your up early in the morning this time to is my favorite time of the day .

Brian

evdesert 9B Indio, CA thanked orangelime1
    7 years ago

Awesome Evan! Don't they hatch out of really cool pods or something?

Here you go Mike, here is one of my favorites. We love having all this land to do what we want and we are only 25 mins from town. People think the prairies are all flat as pancakes with no trees but we have nice rollers and lots of mature groves.

Brian my chinotto did not like being repotted into 5-1-1 at all. It is currently in a holding pattern recovering. I think it's going to make it, no further die back since I pruned it back to recover a couple of weeks ago. I am waiting anxiously to see the first little bud coming back. Thanks for your well wishes!! I will provide updates I check it every morning. Sometimes twice a day.

evdesert 9B Indio, CA thanked hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
  • evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Brian, praying mantis do not harm citrus in any way, to the contrary, they eat bugs that do harm to citrus. Having praying mantis in your yard is the sign of a healthy garden, plus they're good luck.

Hobby, yes they hatch from cool pods. There's hundreds of them that hatch from each pod. I knew I was going to have a lot of praying mantis this year because I saw all of the pods on my walls and a couple of plants. I think there are a few still around the yard, I'll try and get a picture and post it today.

Evan

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Hobby, that is a spectacular view! I wish we had more land, but I like where we live. Maybe someday....or in my next life ;-).

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

We always get prating mantises all over my yard. I love them!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

OMG what a view Hobby . Must be very scary seeing the storms roll in though . You are soooooo lucky it must be awesome just sitting out there in the morning with a nice cup of coffee. Glad your Chinotto is going to make it , it was so beautiful. . By the way great photo shot you Laura and Evan are real pros.

Evan Laura it's always so nice having the good guy's working for us . Haven't seen any here yet . To bad there wasn't a place that sold them .

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hobby, what a fantastic piece of land, breathtaking view! If that was in the desert you could plant all the varieties of citrus that exist!!!

Brian, I agree it's nice to have natural pest control from "friends in the yard"

I went outside and took a photo of one of the praying mantis pods that was on my Madagascar Palm. This is also one of the only potted plants I've kept alive for a few years.

desert plants · More Info

Evan

• User
    7 years ago

It's been a long time since I've seen a praying mantis. They are fascinating animals. I once watched one catch its prey and quickly behead it. I wish we had some in my yard to keep the bad bugs at bay.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Vladimir, I agree, very unique bugs, I was looking through some of my photos from last year and found this one of a mantis in my trovita orange tree.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Steve, as long as they keep up their steady diet of aphids, ants and scale they can be wussy in my yard all they want. lol

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Guys, you can order praying mantis egg cases online. I did many years ago. They reproduce yearly in my yard, so no need to order anymore.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here’s the Pixie a couple weeks ago.

Evan

• Mikhail (Bay Area/East Bay - 9b)
    6 years ago

Evan, how do you keep your yard weed-free?

evdesert 9B Indio, CA thanked Mikhail (Bay Area/East Bay - 9b)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Your trees always look great Evan!

evdesert 9B Indio, CA thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mikhail, I don’t, there are plenty of weeds in my yard. I just pull them when they pop up, sometimes I’m lazy and they get large and flower then I pull them. Bottom line, my yard has weeds lol.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Laura, we must’ve been typing at the same time. Your trees are looking really nice too, I’ve seen them on the other threads.

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Beautiful Evan. Seeing your trees makes me wish I could have mine outside too.