SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve501

Sapodilla with reddening leaves and ?warts

steve501
7 years ago

Hi. I have two 4 year old Sapodilla plants that I've grown from seeds, which until this Spring were growing fairly well. My set up is that that I'm keeping them in a grow tent in the late fall through early spring as I'm in Maryland, Zone 6. I've had a few reddening leaves over the last few years but they outgrew them. I've also unfortunately had a huge aphid and white fly problem in the grow tent but fortunately they didn't seem to get too infested compared to other veggies and they survived them. I've noticed these wart like growths which I dismissed as a natural part of the plant but now I'm wondering if they're a problem in light of the more severely reddening leaves. The primary shoot of the main stem seems to have died off in both plants.

I have not been fertilizing these for about 1.5 to 2 years. One thing I did was to take them out and put them in full sun out of the grow tent (which was facing a south facing window but definitely only getting sun for much less hours), and then the weather pattern pulled a fast one and we've had waves of upper 30's Fahrenheit nights when I've had to bring them in. Since I noticed the more substantial reddening, I've put them in more shade. Moreover we've had near record rains and cloudy days with only a few days of sun for almost a month now so I was thinking if its sunburn it should have gotten better. On plant A even the leaves on the very base which have sprouted look red.

Yesterday I sprayed mixture of one gallon+5tbsp baking soda+5tbsp thinking it might be fungus or rust?

I would appreciate any advice or assistance. Thanks so much!

Steve

Comments (2)

• steve501
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is there anyone who can give me a sense of what might be going on and if these plants are salvageable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Laydee Luv
    7 years ago

Hi are you sure those wart things aren't scale insects. Try to pick one off the plant then you will know for sure.