SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Help Id plant, or plants, 2nd try, told could be asters or Campanula

merlcat
7 years ago

Hi there.

Second time trying to id this plant, still has not flowered but grown quite a bit.

Philadelphia, Pa zone 7a

I am pretty sure it is an unwanted weed for where it is coming up, but would like to know it’s name so I can see if it is a native, invasive, etc.

It is about two feet or taller now.

The first three photos are of one stand of this that I took today. The last three photos are of another stand that was smaller and seemed like younger plants, which I took about a week and a half or two ago.

I *think* they may be the same plant, but I am not exactly sure. The last three photos I think grow with underground runners, but I have not dug up the plants in the first three photos to investigate if they are the same in that way. They grow across from one another in beds about 6 or so foot apart across a grass strip, and seem very similar, or so I though. not so sure now.

The beds were cultivated but left unworked for a season of so, and they could easily be a weed of opportunity, for all I know. They seem so familiar, but are just not close enough to anything in my mind, plant OR weed to say for sure and know what to do with them.

I posted this plant when it was fairly young, and it was suggested that it could be Campanula persicifolia or some type of Aster. I have grown English Asters, but never grown Campanula, and I'm not sure they are developing as either. Does anyone think either of these guesses could still be a possibility based on these pictures?

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you!!

Comments (5)