SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24663670

Elodea sinking to the bottom over night - indicating a problem?

User
7 years ago

I'm completely new when it comes to ponds (and secretly not much experience in gardening) but this year I found my passion in it.

7 Weeks ago I dag the hole for my pond, covered it with pond plastic and filled her up with tab water. Directly put in oxigen plants, (Elodea and Potamogeton Lucens). Planted them in baskets, filled with pond soil covered up with substate. Soon frogs came in, and birds starting to visit it for a drink.

I had an issue with the clearness of the water, mainly caused by the dirt that was (after 2/3 weeks) still floating around and, I decided to move the plants more to the surface of the water to make sure they would get some oxigen. One of the pots fell over and made me decide take them all out, and tie them to strings (made of wool) that are tied to a rock and let them float. Cause I read that they dont need the soil/substrate. They seem to do good, some algae came and went, lots of red mosquito larve (which I've been told indicate good water) and now suddenly since 5 days all the Elodea sank to the bottom of the pond, The Potamogeton Lucens is still doing good (but never had full only green leafs, also some brownish, but i make sure that they are not rotten).

The Elodea also seem to be somewhat invested with the red and brown larve (the brown one having a big head, almost like a frog baby, but 100% sure its not. Not able to detirmine what that would be??)

I understand that the biological filter is building up. The water of the pond never have been this clear, very happy, finally able to see the bottom! But now the Elodea is sinking to the bottom, and some of the larves are (what looks like french kissing them) eating? Is the sinkin plant indicating something? Should I plant some more, mayby other oxigen plants just in case, I dont want the algea to come back.

If I left out some crusial information, let me know. Curious to hear what you think.

Comment (1)