SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thestephenrobinson

Need Help with Tomato Leaf Curl

Stephen Robinson
7 years ago

I purchased 10 different types of tomatoes from the garden center about 3 weeks ago (various types including Black Prince, Black Krim, Beefsteak, Sweet 100s, Brandywine, Golden Boy etc.) Most came in 4" pots. I replanted all into Gallon sized pots using a "Veggie Garden Mix" soil I purchased. I planted all plants near the bottom of the Gallon pots, and filled the rest of the pot up with the veggie mix to try and encourage new root growth further up the stem.

Within a few days, two of the plants began to roll their bottom branches. This gradually got worse and much of the new growth eventually started to curl. Even the suckers started to curl. Eventually all of the tomato plants now have similar symptoms, to varying degrees. Below are some photos.

I've read the various threads on tomato curl, but am definitely confused. I've considered some of the possible causes and my opinion of the likelihood it is causing the above problem:

-Too much/too little nitrogen: Seems unlikely, given this soil is literally sold for this purpose (Or so I'm told by the supplier). All are planted in the same soil.

-Overwatering: Seems unlikely, given the plants are only watered every 3-4 days. The soil appears to drain very well. I've even remove a few plants from the pots and the soil was in my opinion just slightly moist at the very bottom.

-Herbicide Damage: No herbicides have been used, so this seems very unlikely to me.

-Virus/Disease: This seems maybe the most likely to me, given I feel like I'm running out of options to blame the problem on.

The problems seems to have gradually gotten worse and now all plants have the above symptoms. All plants were also purchased from same nursery (perhaps they all had the same virus or it spread there, if it's in fact a virus). The growth also seems rather slow to me - they have grown, but at a bit of a slow rate. I live in Vancouver, BC to add some further context and it's been almost entirely clear and sunny for past 2 weeks. The only plant that seems unaffected is the brandywine, which appears to have a very different style of leaf from all the other tomatoes (more flat and wide). When I removed two of the plants from the pots by tipping them upside down, there was lots of root growth and new roots throughout the pot and it looked quite healthy below soil level (if that helps or is even relevant).

Could you guys please offer any help/advice on what the possible causes are and help me troubleshoot this problem. Happy to provide more pictures if needed. Many thanks!

Comments (28)