SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brimd

Little Cape-Demolition and Update

brimd
8 years ago

It's been a while since I posted but I have thought often about people here who offered help I wanted to update.

We had a major change in our plan. We could hardly believe with all the scrutiny of our space and measuring we did beforehand that we hadn't considered the chimney going up the side of the house when we posted for our layout. Consequently, we had to rearrange window placement which shifted everything.

We've come to terms with the fact that our love of the charm and quirks of this old house trumps our desire for symmetry and perfection. So we are happy with our plan that checks off all our must-haves. We'll have 2 windows, one over the sink overlooking the yard. We'll have a small closet for shoes, boots & backpacks. We'll have an island for quick meals and socializing. Most important, we'll have landing space near the range, good venting and, finally, adequate prep space.

Living through demo has been a challenge! It's been DH, my Dad and me doing most of the work - mostly weekends & after paying jobs ;) We had to take down a support wall and install a steel beam. Our old kitchen had originally been an enclosed porch added on to the original house. It was poorly done so we actually removed 2 outside walls when installing windows & totally rebuilt them. My Dad has taken charge of constructing the in-the-studs storage cabinet you all recommended. It's going to be one of my favorite features.

Here are some pics of demo & some progress. We're beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel! I cannot wait to come back with my reveal!

Comments (6)