SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

Uh-oh! Dirr claims that LA Dreamin' is Mathilda Gutges!!

October_Gardens
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Check this article out: http://www.diggermagazine.com/the-next-wave-of-hydrangeas/

No surprise that world-renowned hydrangea guru Dr Mike Dirr (UGA prof / Bailey Nurseries developer, a.k.a. face behind the Endless Summer brand) never fails to go out of his way to toot his own horn at his work while discrediting other breeders and programs, *but* he apparently summoned an independent genetic test of LA Dreamin' / Lindsey Ann this past year and it came out to be genetically identical to Mathilda Gutges.

This bolsters his accusations various branders of recycling old pot-plants and rushing them to market, claiming reblooming capability.

That being said, M. Gutges is a relatively free-flowering specimen, but has been known to die back and have a very slow rebound growth rate.

So... I guess take heed of this new information. Once enough nurseries get wind of this information, I'm sure many might stop selling it, but some might not as they would continue to gouge the buyer for $50 per 3-gallon container.

Come to think of it, this actually follows right along with my own personal scoffing at the product right here on this forum. The whole brand's claim of "pinks and blues on the same flower head" was exhibited many times previously on my potted MG specimen, and I called them out on it. Unbeknownst to me, in doing so I inadvertently predicted the result of the genetic test! Absolutely zero surprise in light of the whole color thing, but wow, just wow....

Comments (19)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

I enjoyed reading this article..I feel vindicated that some experts have admitted that the "remontant" macrophylla hydrangeas don't perform as claimed..

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

Thanks for the link. I enjoy Mr. Dirr's strong opinions and sense of humor, even when I don't agree with him. All too often IMO garden writers don't have enough of a writer's 'voice', and he does in spades. Like other sources of garden info, I take his info with a grain of salt and temper it with info from other science-based sources (as opposed to nursery hype) such as trials at botanical gardens. (and his "discrediting other breeders and programs" doesn't begin to compare with some other plant breeders I've read and it sounds like the LA Dreamin'/Mathilda Gutges mix-up is one of carelessness rather than deliberate fraud.) You really got me started on a hunt around through the web for various plants mentioned in the article.

One of the things that came up in that hunt was a reminder that prior to 'Endless Summer' being available, I wouldn't have had a snowball's chance of any H. macrophylla on the market blooming in my yard ever. So while they don't measure up to marketing hype, mine have bloomed at least some each year since planting, and since I have a large yard, the years the bloom is more frugal, it's not a big deal. I only have one (I always trial plants in my own yard before acquiring more than one) and will probably continue trying out newer types until I find one that performs better. So far 'Twist & Shout' and 'Tough Stuff' are doing well, both blooming after being killed to the ground.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good takes and good attitude!

I too look at all research objectively, and look for "diamonds in the rough" wherever I can find them. I've noticed that lots of the recent Dutch and Japanese hybrids do just fine form year to year. And I think Tim Wood (who has chimed in here before) has done a better variety of work than Dirr, but at least they're both good examples knowledgeable Americans leading the development charge with these and a host of other types of plants.

To give Dirr due credit, I could never really pit anything against the ES series - I've seen them all do great things, especially once established. Mine were probably set up to have the highest number of blooms per plant when the late freeze hit. Even my commercially-axed Bella Anna is still doing its best to keep up with its neighbors.

I can't foresee any other recent new hydrangea being "outed" as something old at this point, so I agree with the mistake theory. However, I think Lindsey Anne will still probably get its patent (because I don't believe genetic comparison testing would make a difference), so the filer will have his day either way.

• hyed
    7 years ago

Boston here, loved the article....loved my Mathilda, Easter gift over ten yrs blooms Every yr regardless of the weather no protection( blue bellow 15yrs never touch it)

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some parts of that area of MA are pushing Zone 7A. Not surprised yours do well!

• hyed
    7 years ago

Springwood(Go Pen ) thank you for you input as a old timer (76) hydrangea fan I have lean so much... I have done the winterizing over the yrs with great results...But screw Endless Summer ....I'll go with the Whites!!!

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks much! And unfortunately we don't root for the Bruins here. haha

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

"...wow, just wow..." Ain't it the truth! Springwood, your keen powers of observation & familiarity with a diverse group of cultivars indeed predicted this result. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Not expecting the LA Dreamin' promoters to include this tidbit in their advertising...

First shipment of Kurt Weiss gallon hydrangeas recently landed at the local Lowe's. Only 3 varieties by the hangtags (Meritt's Supreme, Firelight (Leuchtfeuer) & another not recalled), but, as usual, some flowers stood out as mislabeled. Sure enough, markers sunk inside the pots identified several as Mathilda Gutges. Twin plants in each pot, well separated in each half so easily divided & set in new pots as individuals to grow on. (Successfully done this before & have several still unidentified varieties to show for it.) And as Mathilda Gutges - bred by Steiniger & introduced in 1946 - no patent protection as long ago expired.

Wanting to try "LA Dreamin" since its debut, very glad to learn from your post before encountering these, so Mathilda Gutges came home with me. Thanks for the tip off!

Some growers list the mature size of MG as 5 x 5' or wider, while others call it compact at 3.5' high. Some also note it reblooms, without specifying whether on old or new wood. Guess we'll find out in the garden over time. Here's one seller with photos including a shot of the multicolor effect. http://www.hydrangeafarm.com/catalog/product.cgi/9/15/P1/default/N/0 

That the identification of such a traditional cultivar so long in the trade slipped by the experts, with the exception of Dirr, elicits another "wow". You score a gold star, Springwood, for spotting this before others suspected. They might have just consulted you!

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha, thanks! [I'm no accredited expert or master gardener, just some guy who took a keen interest in landscaping after buying my first house in 2008.]

But yeah, Lowe's just got in their yearly KW shipments. From what I've seen, they've more properly labeled the plants this time around, but . There are a bunch with MG labels on BOTH tags (and the proper flower to go with them). Same with Leuchtfeuer and Pink Sensation. There's also a red one but I forget the exact name. However, there are much fewer breeds to choose from, which made browsing a whole lot less fun.

• mintcar123
    7 years ago

Hey springwood, I just found this thread. Do you have any experience with LA Dreamin? I just bought 2 for $25 each from Home Depot. Now I'm wondering if I should return them. $50 is a lot to spend on two plants especially if they might not perform as they should. I feel like I'm just paying for the name and marketing when I can get 3-gallon hydrangea for $12 at Produce Junction. Any thoughts?

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If you have access to MG cheaper I'd just go with that one. My "LA Dreamin" was bought as a full 3-gallon last season and it is about 2x2' and has one bloom still in the broccoli stage and it's already almost the end of July!

• mintcar123
    7 years ago

Thanks, springwood!

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We're fast appreciating what you're doing here, garyz! As a guy who sees the value of trial and error in the garden, I believe in giving anything a chance that looks to be reasonable. I've done my best to document surprises and unexpected successes that haven't been obviously noted out there.

After a while I think one can almost make educated guesses on what's genetically similar. Ex. I would lump Enziandom and Brestenburg in with MG, etc. as all being "genetically similar" in form/growth and color behavior. Or All Summer Beauty as being a very pastel form of Nikko blue.

I personally have objected numerous times to some of Dirr's comments / lines of reasoning against other (not his) plants and breeders. I think some of his spiel is honestly a bit of hot air that's published to generate sales & royalties for himself and associated entities. On the same token, I won't disrespect his horticultural knowledge as it's much greater and broader than mine. But I wouldn't tell anyone to take Dirr's commentary as the "plant bible" either.

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Endorsement:

You can't lose with Hydrangea macrophylla 'Mathilda Gutges'.

This is because of it's rich pigment density potential, ease in getting a wide range of colors, and ease of blooming. I'm generous with 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer pellets, which I suspect increases the color. And I added Aluminium Sulphate to very naturally acidic soil to get it this blue in the photos below.

Below is a division of the same bush on the right in the top photo in a new location.

I have a second MG division about 15' away from this one that bloomed pink last year after being moved in potting soil. It is about 2' tall x 2 x 3 wide and covered with flower heads in bud stage. I really pushed Ammonium Sulphate heavily last fall and added 10-10-10 again hoping to get a deep blue bush again.

However, I'm failing miserably so far. It shifted to rival some of my better "reds". So I've got the color density the same as with the blue, but the soil is still too basic.

But who's complaining? Every time she's just stunning!

I do not have LA Dreaming to compare directly but have not generally seen the color density this strong in online photos. I need to grow it the same way as my MG to see if it indeed acts the same.

MG Blooms well in shady to quite sunny locations here. I'm finding it very sun tolerant if you have enough compost and a deep root bed. It is more compact than Nikko Blue, about a 1 to 2' shorter under identical conditions and age. When mature plus a few years it likes to be 4.5 to 5' for us (it can be trimmed to 3' and bloom well). It's a fairly dense grower that branches well. Can be a bit floppy until established.

I grow a lot of different hydrangea and MG keeps winning a front yard display position.

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Below are the current hydrangea we are growing at home, many still small. So my direct hydrangea experience comes from this base. I have a few others on my wishlist still. I will pick up unlabeled plants if highly compelling, but try to avoid it. I have seen 'Mathlida Gutges' generically labeled or mislabeled as 'Nikko Blue' at Home Depo.

Our List:

Hydrangea angustipetala 'MonLongShou' 'Golden Crane'

Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'

Hydrangea arborescens 'White Dome'

Hydrangea aspera 'Macrophylla'

Hydrangea aspera 'Plum Passion'

Hydrangea aspera 'Sargentianum'

Hydrangea aspera 'Villosum'

Hydrangea macrophylla ?lavendar pink

Hydrangea macrophylla ?peppermint

Hydrangea macrophylla ?blue/pink

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Amethyst'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Angel Lace'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Ayesha'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bigleaf White' (Monrovia)

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Blaumiese'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bloomstruck'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Blue Danube'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bottstein'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Burning Embers'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Let's Dance Diva'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Eisvogel'

Hydrangea macrophylla '(Blue) Enchantress'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Endless Summer'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Enziandom'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Fasan'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'First White'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Freedom'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Gallilee'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hamburg'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hobella'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Homigo' (Hovaria)

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Horcos' 'Firefly'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hot Red'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Jubilee'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Kardinal'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Kluis Superba'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lady in Red'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lanarth White'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Leuchtfurer'

Hydrangea macrophylla mariesii 'Grandiflora' 'White Wave'

Hydrangea macrophylla mariesii 'Perfecta' 'Blue Wave'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Masja'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Mathilda Gutges'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Merritt's Beauty'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Merritt's Supreme'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Merveille Sanguine' 'Brunette' 'Color Fantasy'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Multiblue'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'New Wine'

Hydrangea macrophylla nigra

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nikko Blue'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Parzival'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Peppermint Twist'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pia' 'Pink Elf'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pistachio'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Revolution'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Rotdrossel'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Selina'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Sister Therese'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Snowstorm'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Sumida no Hanabi' 'Shooting Stars'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Taube'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Tivoli'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Tokyo Delight'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Twist & Shout'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Wedding Gown'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'White Robe'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'You and Me Forever'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'You and Me Romance'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Zaunkoening'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Zebra'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Bobo'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Fire & Ice' 'Wim's Red'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Phantom'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Strawberry Sundae'

Hydrangea paniculata 'Vanilla Strawberry'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Alice'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snowflake'

Hydrangea serrata 'Beni Gaku'

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Billow'

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird''

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Deckle'

Hydrangea serrata 'Chiri-san Sue'

Hydrangea serrata 'Golden Sunlight'

Hydrangea serrata 'Preziosa'

'Lanarth White'

'Revolution'

'Hot Red

nigra (acidic soil) black stems

'Let's Dance Diva'

'New Wine'

'Zaunkoening'

'Blue Wave' (past prime)

(unknown blue/pink) w huge heads

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    6 years ago

Wow, people- I feel a spending spree coming on.

I want them all! Gorgeous photos!

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Few plant reward folks as much as Hydrangea do. And even the expensive ones are cost effective per square foot coverage. Good investments.

Remember to always give people a little slack in believing people's claims about their plants. They may be exactly right for their growing area and growth conditions. The performance of these plants can vary a lot with climate, light level, soil type, moisture conditions, and mineral/fertilzer conditions and gets better with plant maturity.

'Multiblue' from Bay City Flowers

'Brunette' 'Merveille Sanguine' note dark leaves in mid to late summer, if has enough light.

'Taube'

'Twist & Shout'

'Twist & Shout' had not impressed me much in person at Nurseries. I skipped over it many many times over the first 3 years I saw it. But I finally picked up a small beat up one on sale and it has truly made me a believer. The vigor of this compact lacecap alone helps justify all the hype. It earned a front porch spot in my yard because it is nearly always in fresh flowers from mid June until near first frost.

I like it best in the periwinkle blue to light purple range. It totally covers itself with flowers. It blooms and grows out further and reblooms in full canopy flushes again and again all season. The last flowering in fall dries in place in and shifts to light multicolors and making nice dry cut flower rearrangements. Yes many of the florets are twisted backwards at this stage.

This next old timer is a "must have" ...

H. serrata 'Preziosa' (likely part macrophylla) is an amazing thing. In shade and when young it can be a lacecap. With more maturity and especially light it is a a mophead. It ranges from white to brushed pinks and blues to red and deep burgundy. The saturated reds only happen in sun. And the leaves get crimson to deep purple in very sunny locations.

I just went outside and took a photo of 'Preziosa in a full sun spot. Here in early June the leaf color is already developing and it looks very serrata like.

The later summer color is very much like the fall color of this next serrata.

serrata 'Beni Gaku'

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

serrata 'Beni Gaku'