SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Thoughts on three favorite Austins, and one I don't love after all

Rosefolly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've grown quite a few over the years. Most of them don't stay. Disease, octopus grown, or plain old failure to thrive have been the most common reasons.

But I have three in my garden that I just love. One is Leander, which I grow at my DH Tom's request. When non-rosarians come into the garden, it is one of the ones that knocks their socks off. It does get a bit of powdery mildew in midseason, but that is just when I am doing my summer pruning and that seems to keep it under control. It is sited on the north side of my house and that may be there reason. I have a second out on the fence in full sun, and if it gets PM there, I have never noticed it.

The second is Munstead Wood. Oh, that color! Luminous deep red, and fragrant, and healthy. In my opinion it is Austin's best red.

Finally there is Gertrude Jekyll. I have two of these, one I am training on the fence as a modest climber, and the other I just finished giving a hard pruning `a la CupShapedRoses. The scent on this is even more amazing, up there with the finest damasks.

Turning to Austins that disappoint, I made a decision today to remove Constance Spry. I gave this rose several years to show its stuff ecause it was a gift from my dear friend Carol Markell, known on this form as Bluesibe. But it just is not a good rose for me. Oh, it is healthy enough. I have never seen any disease on it at all. On its own roots it suckers like a gallica, spreading far and wide. I am constantly pruning suckers out. But I keep telling myself it is worth it for the bloom, my eyes dazzled with visions of Constance Spry at Mottisfont, or at Pixar. Well, that's not the display I get her in the Valley of Heart's Delight. Here I see a half hearted display of perhaps a dozen roses on a large plant that lasts about 36 hours. If I blink I miss it. This plant is putting all its considerable energy into growing, not blooming. There are roses that do better grafted. This is apparently one of them.

Rosefolly

Comments (6)