SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristina_vukajlovic

Taking care of echinocactus grusonii

Hi!
My dad bought a cactus a long time ago (I think last summer) and it has had a rough time ever since.
Long story short, no one ever took care of that cactus, because it was considered to be my dad's duty, and then he moved out and left the cactus alone so I feel obliged to help it somehow. I am not even sure if it's alive, but I've poked it to check whether it's mushy and it appears to be firm.
For a long time I couldn't even identify the plant because I have never seen a cactus that looks like that (nor do I know anything about cacti). After a throughout research I found it was actually an echinocactus grusonii, but it appears that the cactus was dyed red. Awful, I imagine it's actively killing the cactus. I have no idea how to remove the coloring. I tried water but it takes ages and the dye won't fully come off.
What's more, my brother managed to take it down a few times. It detached from big part of its roots (it had so many roots that they reached the bottom of the pot and started to fold, but now it's left with very few branches).
I was going to get some new soil to replant it since the pot it is in right now is sort of small (though it still has some space to grow) and I think it could use nicer soil since most of this soil was spilled every time the cactus fell and it's left with nothing basically.
Can you help me with some tips on how to remove the coloring? And does this cactus have a chance of survival?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm