SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgmd_gaz

Irresponsible dog owners (long)

lgmd_gaz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

There was a recent thread on irresponsible cat owners, so maybe some things about dogs was covered then, but I need your thoughts on my neighbor dogs issue.

There are 3 dogs next door. They are house dogs and have a fenced in 60 x 60 yard to keep them contained. The original little one is a sweetheart. Next came a puppy last summer that is a French bulldog mix. Then the divorcee acquired a live in boy friend that came with a pitbull mix. If that dog is outside, it is barking.

The 2 adults over there are working of course and the 2 kids are at school, so the dogs are inside from about 8am till 3 when the 13 year old comes home from school. He immediately lets the 3 dogs out, then retreats into the house to do whatever boys that age are into these days. The barker barks nonstop while he is out, sometimes for 2 hours when a adult comes home.

Some months ago we told them that they need to get a bark collar for the dog. We got a lame "ya, I know" response. A couple weeks ago we complained again, and were told that the dog would be gone in 3 days, because the boy friend had been thrown out and would get the dog then. Well the boyfriend was back in 3 days, so the dog stays.

Last week my Dh was mowing when the dogs were let out by the boy. The pitbull was at the fence barking viscously at DH as he mowed near the fence and attacked the little French bulldog when it got in his way. It went yelping away, and the pitbull returned it's attention to DH. After 10 minutes or so, the boy came out on the porch and called to the barker to no avail. Then DH yelled at the boy to get the damn dog into the house. The boy came into the yard to get him and Dh told him in no uncertain terms that they need to do something about that dog. And if it ever comes over that fence, he will shoot it.

The Mother calls the next day and says she has found the dog a new home and it will be gone the next day. A week later the dog is still there. The mother calls again yesterday and says the deal fell through and that she got a bark collar for the dog and they are working on training with it. And she says, that the boy, after his altercation with my Dh is afraid to come outside. So now the boy and his sister are not allowed to let the dogs out unless the adults are home. That means that the dogs are penned up inside for about 10 hours. And I will interject here that I have yet to see anyone outside interacting with the them at anytime. It is all unfair to the dogs.

We also are, now that the weather is warming up, becoming aware of the stench of dog crap invading our noses every time we are outside We have told them about that, but of course nothing is being done about it. The infrequent mowing takes in anything that happens to be in the yard, nothing gets picked up.

You all know that we are dog lovers, but this is all hard to take. We don't want to become unfriendly neighbors. In the past we had a close relationship with this family. But this has become such an issue that it is hard to remain the friendly helpful folks next door that we want to be.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville