SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question on sowing seeds for lettuces

Lynn Nevins
8 years ago

Hi all. This is just my second year trying to grow various 'lettuces' from seed. Both years I simply sowed the seeds outdoors after the danger of frost had ended. This year I even had the option to put the pots up on my rooftop to give them a better head start.

My sense however is that many/most people seem to start such seedlings indoors with lights/heating mats and/or they sow them outdoors but using a cold frame, or plastic covers, etc... basically that people do special things to give them a jump start.

I have not employed such things, but what I HAVE noticed is that.... once my seedlings germinate, the growth rate seems extremely slow as compared to say flowers that I sow from seed.

My kale generally germinates the best, while both years, the Swiss Chard seems to germinate, but then never really come to fruition. It just stagnates. Ditto for my arugula. Could it be that for whatever reason, some of these greens need more 'help'? I don't want to make it overly complicated for myself...I don't have space in my apartment for grow lights, mats etc. nor do I have much storage space say to hold reusable plastic 'row cover' for outdoor use. Any thoughts or suggestions on ways to speed things along using everyday items or tricks i.e, would covering the pots with basic Saran Wrap help until such time as the seedlings are a bit bigger? etc.

Thanks!

Comments (15)