SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntrainer

Honed Virginia Mist Countertops... Stains? Maintenance?

Nancy Trainer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been working through the posts here on honed countertops and I'm now doubting my initial "yes, please!" reaction when I saw the sample of honed Virginia Mist that our architect brought to our last planning meeting. Like many on these forums, I love the look of soapstone but just can't stomach the upkeep... at first blush it looks like honed Virginia Mist is the solution but I'm now reading about issues with oils, staining, fingerprints showing (!), etc.

Okay, folks: if you have used honed Virginia Mist, what's the skinny? Do you have to seal & re-seal this countertop in some way (and what would that mean, anyway, when you're trying to get a honed finish)? Do you have to use specialty cleaners?

We're remodeling from a 20-year-old kitchen with a speckled Corian, and though I don't mind cleaning before I head off to sleep, I will say that these counters hide sins quite well... and I'm not looking to create a new cleaning problem for myself with our new countertops! Also, FWIW for me "cleaning" means wiping down the counters with 409 and calling it a day.

Comments (21)