SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allyson_smith94

What is wrong with my baby mango tree?

Allyson Smith
7 years ago

Hi! I need help with my baby mango that I have grown from seed. I by no means have a green thumb, and usually steer clear of any type of gardening because I tend to kill everything I try to grow. But lately I've given it another try. This plant has done really well since I planted it about 2 weeks ago. It had dark reddish purple shiny leaves, one that is huge compared to the others, and they were healthy. Today, I noticed that it looks sickly. The leaves aren't the same color, but more of a darker green, and they look more droopy to me. I've kept it under plastic the entire time to create a greenhouse effect, but just took the plastic off when I noticed that it looked sick. I think maybe the soil was too wet because I watered it the other day but didn't realize how much until I stopped pouring. I thought it would be able to handle it since i was told that the babies tend to need a more wet environment and can withstand some flooding now and then in its natural climate.

Today I drained it and carefully "tilled" the soil without disturbing the seed or root so the water would drain better. The weather has been pretty cloudy the past few days, but my temp in my house is still mid to upper 70s. Maybe it is a combination of not enough light and overwatering? Also, the soil I'm using is a local brand called Kelloggs Organic Plus, which the woman at the home Depot told me I should use if that helps. Any help would be appreciated since this is now my new baby. Thank you!

The pics in plastic were taken a few days ago. They look healthy but maybe too wet... the pics without the plastic were taken today. They look sick...

Comments (2)