SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avantown

Tomato seedlings too big

avantown
8 years ago

I grow my tomatoes from seed, and they always seem to grow too large indoors before I can get them outside. I'm zone 5, and tomatoes typically can't go in the ground until around Mother's Day, May 10 to 15.

This year I planted the seeds on March 20, later than I have in the three years past. That's eight weeks before the last chance of frost. Usually they start going outside by early May. Maybe I should just start them later than that?

At first I used to plant seedlings in old milk gallon containers that I cut in half. The tomatoes grew too big for these containers by the end, and my attempt to be frugal was really just a pain because I had to cover the translucent outsides with duct tape.

I was trying to avoid transplanting them into larger containers before they have to go outside. They grew in smaller pots for a while this year, but did need repotting. I purchased one gallon containers, and they are much happier now. But they seem huge compared to anything I would ever buy in a store. I just don't want them to get too big before the big shock of going outside and into the ground.

Also, many of the plants start flowering early. I used to leave them on, but I read that it's better to nip flowers at this stage. Am I doing harm to determinate varieties that way? Don't they set all their fruit at once?

And finally, could I possibly be giving them too much light? The timer is set for 15 hours. If I cut that back, would that stop them from flowering so early, or perhaps growing so much?

Thanks!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH