SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eliasgrace

Should I lower my 10 ft Island to 34" height?

eliasgrace
8 years ago

I am petite (5'2") and the only cook in the household. I was planning on lowering my entire 10 ft island to 34" because it will house my main prep area. My prep space right now is 35" and it's fine, but 34" would be ideal since I like to use thick butcher block cutting boards.

DH is 5'7", does none of the cooking/prepping, and does not care about the height of the island. We have three small children, who will grow, yes, but probably not too much taller than mom and dad.

What gives me pause about lowering the entire island to 34" is that we host and entertain a ton. Is a 34" island an awkward height to stand/sit at for people of all different heights? I imagine that the island will be the social/command center for the whole house. It will be where we lay out the buffet spread for Thanksgiving, Superbowl parties etc. Also, there will be 5 seats around the island, but I'm thinking if I get 24" stools, they should work with a 34" island?

My other question is whether I should lower the "L" part of the perimeters (I have a U-shaped kitchen) to 35.25" which is the lowest it can go to fit the dishwashers. The "L" has my clean-up sink as well as my cooktops. The only reason I want to do the 35.25" is so that I can maintain slightly lowered cooktops...but not entirely sure that it is really that important to for a petite person to have a lowered cooktop? My cooktop now is at 35" and it works great for me, but perhaps I wouldn't even notice the difference if I went up to 36"? The benefit of staying at 36" is that it's better height for my clean-up sink since I'll probably get a 10" depth sink and a lowered counter would make that sink feel even deeper.

Attaching an old layout of my kitchen (can't seem to upload the new one) -- a lot has changed but the general idea of where the main stuff is has stayed the same. The island will have no posts and will have 3 seats on the fridge side and 2 seats on the end.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Comments (18)