SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyboy123456

Ficus Lyrata - From leaf cutting to rooting

Gary
8 years ago

Hi all,

I have no knowledge on Ficus Lyrata but love the plant, can't find it anywhere in London but managed to buy one from Amazon UK, delivered from Holland, thought the one I'm having was dying, so I cut 2 leafs and try my luck, it seems working fine but no idea if it will eventually grow into a tree?

Here's a bit of background of the location and temperature.

It was 24 March 2016 when I took the cutting, and have at least 7 hours of light daily from floor lamp. All my plants/cuttings are indoor next to a shut window, no drought, under a floor lamp.

1st leaf cutting: I scraped off a bit of skin on the stem and accidentally sliced it into half but still dip it into rooting hormone powder and went straight into the Miracle-Gro Expand N Gro Concentrated Enriched Compost, whole pot then wrapped into a plastic bag to keep the moisture, water mist it once every 2 day. I removed it from the plastic bag at the end of April 2016, but no idea how's the root developing.

2nd leaf cutting: Scrapped some of the skin on the stem, dipped into rooting powder and put straight into the water in a plastic bottle, I use cling film to wrap the remaining part as the bottle is not tall enough, and I rolled the leaf so it can fit in the bottle. Whenever I have my laptop on, i kept the bottle next to it, so the hot air extracted from laptop keeps the water warm. It started to root on the 3rd week, and now it is 2 May 2016. Some roots started to go upright from water into the air.

Now my questions are,

1- will it survive in water or I should plant it in the soil now?

2- will a new shoot coming out from anywhere and grow into a tree? I can't imagine a leaf can produce any shoot from any part.

Comments (2)