SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjdbeltran

HELP!! Narrowing down Ficus Elastica aka Rubber Tree varieties!

Jasmin Beltran
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Does anyone wish they would make the names simple so it's easier for us plant lovers to find and horde our babies?! Lol.. Sorry not sorry :p

Anyway! I've recently been obsessed with the rubber plant, mostly the variegated ones. It had the generic Bell Nursery(apperantly exclusive to Home Depot) tag so I'm not sure what variety it is. Upon doing research(Google, EA, GHW, Delray, etc...) I've come to realize there's a whole lot of varieties of this plant and I'm still lost as to which one I have. This becomes even more difficult when companies "fancy up the names" so now you have the problem of multiple names for the same plant. I want to expand my collection of them but I also don't want copycats. So this is where I need your HELP! If I list the varieties I've found can you please post a picture(Google or your own) and the name of the plant you think it is. I think this will be a fun thing to see what others find or maybe already have in their collection. Thank you my plant brothers and sisters! Happy hunting! :D

Some of these may be the same but have different names, we'll see.

Ficus elastica "ruby"

Ficus elastica "tineke"

Ficus elastica "burgundy"

Ficus elastica "tricolor"

Ficus elastica "variegata"

Ficus elastica "black prince"

Ficus elastica "strawberries and cream"

Ficus elastica "lemon lime"

Ficus elastica "decora" and/or "congesta"*

Ficus elastica "doescherii"

Ficus elastica "robusta" and/or "rubra"**

Ficus elastica "abidjan"(possibly alternate name for "burgundy")

Ficus elastica "asahi" and "sylvie" (may also be alternate name for a variegated plant)

Ficus elastica "schrijveriana/schriverianas"

* more compact versions?

** newer name for the plant?

I'm sure there are more I haven't found, so feel free to add those as well.

Also I'd like an ID of the plant I already have.

Comments (16)