SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

My window exodus/experience so far ...

aptosca
8 years ago

Well, we've started demo. So we need to get the window order in fairly quickly if we want the delivery to be timely with respect to the rough inspection.

I ended up deciding to go with Marvin all wood. It's been an experience.

The distributor is a "Marvin Design Gallery" so does Marvin exclusively. Everyone else was pushing other brands which made me worry that I wouldn't get an order I was happy with.

Even with the current distributor, I've had to pay attention to every line on the description of every window. And there are lots of lines. I want "cottage style" windows, asymmetric sash sizes on the DHs. But I don't want the standard 60/40 split. I had to escalate up to the owner of the distributor to get someone who didn't just say "that's not possible." I mean, it's Marvin. Everything's possible, right? And he had checked this several months ago, before handing me off to a sales rep. The sales rep tends to push back if he can't figure out how to put it in the computer.

My GC hasn't worked with this distributor before and hasn't done wood windows in a while so we all met at the distributor, including the Marvin rep, to talk about it. Marvin's wood windows don't come with a nail fin so require different installation and flashing. The rep and the more experienced folks (owner, sales manager) were helpful and available.

Even after we got the cottage split right, the way they were split was wrong: they misunderstood how we wanted the design of the casements and the DHs to integrate (I'm not looking for casements that look like DHs.) So in the end, Marvin's done custom drawings of every window to make sure we're all on the same page.

Still a number of options. Hardware finishes. Hardware on the french doors. Privacy glass. The standard french door hardware options don't really match my style but the "upscale" hardware is, I think, about $1K?!

It's a bit amazing how somewhat difficult Marvin can be (so the distributor says ... and they have a good relationship with Marvin. They say that can't get samples of some of the less common privacy glass options in less than 3 weeks?

So we're getting close. There's still one window, the 3 window kitchen unit, that's tricky. It's counter height but pretty close to a door. The molding/casing of the window and door are the same so the heights have to be the same. On other windows, the actual distance from the floor to the window isn't that critical but in this case it has to be above counter-top level but as close to counter top level as possible. That's turning out to be tricky ... and I was the one to note that. Which makes me a little nervous. I want other people noticing these things, too. Normally I'd try to get the designer to check but she's not so great on details like this, so I work close with the GC, who is.

The rep I deal with the most isn't the most johny-on-the-spot either. But as a group, the distributor's been good, as long as I push to get all the details.

It's a big order for me (30-40K) but I suppose not the biggest thing in the world for them.

Not sure if anyone cares to read this, but it's been a fun experience.

Any advice on how not to make any mistakes gladly accepted.

Comments (2)