SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meganewing7

Furniture Placement.. Help!!

meganewing7
8 years ago

We are in the process of redoing our house and im at a loss for how to put the furniture back in the living room. It is 15'x20' with big windows and a fireplace. The fireplace used to take up one whole wall, but was very flimsy paneling so we decided to nix the built ins and just have a normal sized raised hearth fireplace (just about a foot wider than the actual firebox to give you an idea). Because of the windows, doors, and openings I cant determine how the furniture should sit. The main pieces of furniture will be a couch, love seat, tv stand, and a console table (not pictured, we are getting rid of the teal cabinet). We also have the white chest that was used as a coffee table, but im not sure if it will fit anywhere afterwards. I attached quite a few pictures... the first few are how the living used to be set up before we redid it. We updated the doors, put up new chunky craftsman trim and baseboards, painted the walls a light blue, and got dark wood floors. The last four pictures are something i just threw together, on a website i can't remember, as possibilities. Help me out please!! I feel like most of them leave a lot of space in the middle of the room.

In these pictures you can see the two doors in the top left hand corner, along with the opening on the bottom right and the large opening going towards the dining room on the bottom right. In this first possibility I feel like there is a large space in the center of the room that I'm not sure how to fill... but the large couch would be centered with the large window.

In this second possibility I like that the couch having the back to the opening kind of creates a walkway entry that we don't have right now. But.. the tv would have to sit almost directly to the side so you would have to sit sideways to see the tv. (Hubby doesn't want it mounted on fireplace)

Then the other two kind of give the same open space in the middle. This 3rd one could probably have the coffee table in front of the couch.. but then i feel like all of the bigger pieces of furniture would be heavy on one side of the room.

Any ideas on how I could switch it up? Do i just not have the right type of furniture to fill the room?

Comment (1)