SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish

How to space viburnums used as hedge?

coatfetish
8 years ago

Hi,

I ordered several viburnums to use as a natural, informal hedge between my property and my neighbor. I will be planting them well within my property line so I can let them grow natural and untrimmed without them extending into my neighbor's side (which is only an easement strip of land used as a secondary access driveway - they mow the strip but never use it). What I ordered are 4 of native species arrowood dentatum and 4 of native species highbush trilobum - but they sent me 4 nannyberry by mistake - they are re-shipping the trilobum this week. They said they may have mislabeled the first set of trilobum as nannyberry - so I have no idea if I'll end up with 8 trilobum, or a mix of nannyberry and trilobum to go with the arrowood. That gives me 12 shrubs that are now 3 to 4 foot tall starts. From what I've read, most of the shrubs will be between 8 and 12 or 15 feet wide when mature. How close should I plant them if I want a barrier for privacy, but room for good air circulation? I'm hoping for no gaps between them when they are full grown (and left wild, not pruned unless I have to for their health) but not so crowded it could lead to problems for the plants. They will be planted in full sun in z6a in Virginia. Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments (3)