SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

How do you feel about being "young ladyed?"

As in a twenty something waiter faux flirting and calling a mature woman "young lady".

I brought this up in a Cultural Anthropology class I'm taking at a community college. At 58, I am far and away the oldest student in the class. We were discussing language, and how we use language differently depending on who we are addressing. I mentioned that calling an obviously older woman young lady is condescending. One of the young guys in the class said "my grandma likes it." And several others nodded with agreement.

After that class I Googled "don't call me young lady" to see what might have been written about the subject. I found some blog and forum posts from women who objected to it (unless whoever says it is much older than the woman being addressed). Then there were responses along the lines of "lighten up", you're being to touchy, etc. The thing is, you don't see this happening to men of a "certain age". And could you imagine a waiter "young ladying" Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

It seems that our culture wants to think of older women as "sweet". Someone posted a eulogy by a very sharp 74 year old woman, calling here a "sweet" old lady. If it had been a speech by Gloria Steinem would they have characterized her that way? Unless we have a public persona that says otherwise, as we get older why are we referred to in such infantalizing ways?

I also found articles on the harm done by health professionals who use elderspeak with their elderly patients. Basically, using baby talk when addressing. Studies have been done that have found that patients are more resistant to care when spoken to in this manner.

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living