SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahoog00

Seed starting time III

Chapter II got even larger than the original; so hoping once again that there is no objection let's start a new another new chapter. Chapter II has enough images uploaded that it keeps jumping around as it loads, which with my slow connection, takes longer than I like... :-(

Comments (168)

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

My dog took one out once with a single bite to the neck.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago
    One of the sweet pepper buds bloomed. All of the peppers have several buds on them now. These puppies are dying to get into the ground.
  • Related Discussions

Seed starting time II

Q

Comments (161)
    Jack, my experience has been just the opposite. My yellow multipliers (which is really all that the various types of Dutch yellow shallots are) have wintered well for me, but the French Reds have not. I have to admit that there are all kinds of strains of multipliers (aggregatum group) with all kinds of hardinesses. My yellow multipliers came from Jungs in Wisconsin and they were sold to be fall planted in the north country, which I did with excellent success. Spring planting works just fine, too and they keep and keep and keep. IMO they are the best storage onions in existence, but are not very big. One of my father's ancestors brought a strain with him when his family immigrated from the Netherlands a few generations back. Unfortunately those have been lost. The Jungs strain is not identical but works just fine in remembrance. The ones I have are every bit as hardy here as my garlics.
    ...See More

Seed Starting Time V

Q

Comments (148)
    Nice looking harvests!!! Those Bolero look really nice Peter. I have Bolero seed for this fall that I will be planting in about a month. We finally got some rain here yesterday afternoon. I started hearing some thunder a little before noon and went out to the garden and it was very dark to the north so I decided to quickly pull all of my remaining 50 or so onions before they got rained on. I got them all pulled and hung in my shed just as the sky opened up. I also pulled all of my carrots yesterday morning. Both the Scarlet Nantes and Little Finger had started to bolt in the last week so I wanted to get them out before they developed woody cores. Not a great harvest as they were not planted in an ideal location but I got about 13 lbs. from a 10 square feet area. We had some with dinner last night and they were good but not nearly as sweet as fall harvested carrots. A deer found my cantaloupe overnight on Saturday and nibbled off the growth tips of a few of them but didn't touch the beans right next to them. I had bought 10 yards of tulle on Thursday to cover the melons and my squash to protect them from pests but I didn't get it on until Sunday. Hopefully the tulle and hoops will deter the deer as well. All of the melons should recover except one. I needed to thin them anyway :)
    ...See More

Time to start saving seeds!

Q

Comments (2)
    I literally stumbled across winter sowing back around 2007 and was intrigued by the idea of it. I WS 500+ recycled gallon milk jugs of perennials and shrubs. Those plants are now thriving in my own & my neighbors' garden beds. I'm loving my WS stokesia in bloom, in part because I love the electric blue ruffly 2-3" flowers each July but equally because I know they'll produce oodles of viable seeds when fall rolls around here in southern New England. Shasta daisies also tend to yield a quantity of seeds; my favorite is 'Crazy Daisy." My last job was in IT (Information Technology for the uninitiated) so details were critical. Generally, if you're looking for information, it's available on the Internet. If you want to research seed-germination information, check out the Clothier database. Seeds are listed by type (perennial/annual/tree/vegetable, etc.) + botanical name (you won't find 'daisy' but you will find Leucanthemum). The database will describe what conditions are necessary for seeds to germinate. Stuffing your garden beds with WS perennials as well as annuals & vegetables is fun. I don't ski. What else is there to do (in New England) from January to April?
    ...See More

Timing on starting flowers from seeds in summer?

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a seed germination station indoors and can't seem to find good information on which flowers (perennials or annuals) are ok to start from seed from June and beyond here in the South. Ideally, these plants could be used in containers into the fall or I would plant them in my beds, all available spots would be full to partial sun. But I don't want to plant something from seed now that just won't make it to flowering this year. Any suggestions? Bonus for fragrant and easy-to-care varieties (zone 7).
    ...See More
  • RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    8 years ago

Chris, looking good!

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I think my peppers need some fertilizer. They haven't grown much the past week. Yours look better. I am going to give them a round.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Last year, I planted my peppers at end of May. The seedlings were very small. But I still had good harvest.

This is in early August.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago
    I just give them a little fish emulsion every so often. I think they just love the heat from this light I'm using. These first seedlings I started have advanced so much under this light. The thing that stinks is I feel like the light is too harsh for newly germinated seedlings.
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Really nice looking Pepper Chris...time to get those puppies outside to harden off! Peppers and Tomatoes really seem to grow fast for me once they start getting some sun exposure if given enough nutrients. I'm looking forward to my plants looking like Redsun's in a couple months. The big benefit to growing the bull's horn shaped sweet peppers is the early ripening. I'm hoping to have ripe peppers by early July.

That is if they survive the day today. Some very severe storms are predicted here with twisters, large hail, and high winds. I still have the Agribon 'roof' over my Ts and Ps but it might not stay put in high winds with just binder clips holding it to the cages. I think hail of decent size might just punch right thru it. We will see...I still have some backup tomatoes to replace the 6 I have planted out and almost enough backup peppers. Hail can really wreak havoc on alliums which I can't replace other than Leeks. That's life in the plains!

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Good luck! We have thunderstorms here too frequently. We have them today also. Not as bad as yours though.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Good luck, Jack! Hope everything survives.

Yeah we have only a slight chance of hail, but it rarely hails here. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen hail in my life.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Looks like you're getting some storms now!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Yep we just got thru with a bout of decent rain but nothing severe here in downtown. Most of the heavy stuff stayed north of the city. My house is 40 miles to the SE of downtown and I don't think I got much at all there.

This evening's weather is supposed to be more severe on the Kansas side then it is in Missouri which is not unusual. Dorothy was from Topeka after all where they are giving them a Tor-con 7 rating on the weather channel.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Some good storms sweeping across from the Northwest now. Hoping we get some of the action here.

Red, looks like you might get some of the severe stuff. Heads up!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

It is crystal clear here at the moment but it looks like some storms are starting to form up down in Oklahoma. I'm heading home in a few minutes to baton down the hatches.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Yeah that looks ugly. Have you ever seen a tornado, Jack?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

I've seen a couple but only one that was on the ground at the time. We had an EF2 go thru the area I live in 6 years ago about 2 miles from my house but that was at night.

It was a pretty bad night with high wind, some nickel size hail, and 4-5" of rain but it was worse in other areas I think. I did have some water get in my basement that I had to vacuum up this morning before work.

I don't think I had much or any garden damage from what I could see from the driveway but the row of tomato cages were leaning a bit. The Agribon 'roof' was still attached though. I imagine there are some broken leaves on the onions from the hail.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Glad to hear everything is ok Jack... except the water in the basement. I have a much needed sump pit and pump in mine.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Thanks Peter. I have a grinder pump that handles all of the basement plumbing as well as collects water under the floor but I think this water came in thru a crack behind a finished wall. The wall is on the east side of my house where my deck is. I think the ground around the foundation under the deck has settled and it is ponding next to the foundation. My gutters were overflowing. I had cleaned the gutters in the winter but I have a few trees on that side of the house that drop crap in the spring and fill the gutters. I need to get up there and clean them this weekend as I won't be able to do it for several weeks after surgery.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Yikes. Well no real damage to the garden and, more importantly, to your family and home. Relieved to hear that. Sorry to hear about the water. 4-5" of rain in 1 day is A LOT.

Crazy that you've seen a tornado. People think I'm crazy, but I want to see one so bad....as long as it isn't causing harm to anyone. I just think it's extremely fascinating that nature can create something so powerful.

Well I hope upon further review later that there are no setbacks. I didn't think this existed, but ever hear of ant-hail netting? http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/anti-hail-netting/shade-cloth

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Looks like my area was more in the 3-4" range but areas to the north got 6-8".

I've heard GW members on the Oklahoma board mention using the hail netting but I have never used it myself. Seems pretty pricey but I guess it would be worth it if you lived in an area that got frequent hail like Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas or the Colorado front range. We get some occasionally but very rarely large hail. Nickel size or smaller doesn't usually do much damage.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Eek! Talk about flash flooding.

Yeah that's true. Gosh, there are enough things to worry about with gardening, I would hate to add hail to the list.

On that note, looks like a frost advisory around me, as lows will be hovering around freezing tonight.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

That stinks! You guys have been having yoyo temperatures for a while now and the long range forecasts can't be trusted which makes it difficult on the gardener.

We have s couple lows In the upper 40s predicted and no lows above 53 for the next week. Peppers will probably not do much growing but they should at least be developing more roots.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

The weather has certainly turned more seasonal here, 60's/low 40's. I hope I am still good for my May 8th plant-out of all my solanaceous crops. I know the soil is ready, it is toasty like summer under my clear plastic. I think I will put them under agribon. I am growing cool weather tolerant varieties anyway. I don't mind the cool weather right now, it is great for all my cool weather stuff. My onions and brassicas are taking off nicely, and peas and beets too, and my potatoes are all coming up now. They are just peeking and we have a forecast of 39F, I am not going to worry about them.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

True, especially since I planted my cool-weather vegetables late. I reseeded some sugar snap peas and those haven't come up. I'm perplexed.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rough times Jack, but no injuries is a blessing.

Sounds like Minneapolis which is still cooler than normal is going to be warmer than out east for a change. My spuds are starting to show, too. Both onion plants and sets are taking off. Peach bloom is now past prime, but the tulips in the garlic bed are still in full bloom. There are magnolias and rhododendrons in full glory all over south Minneapolis now too, as well as plums, cherries and the first flowering crabs. One of my volunteer onions has already started to show a blossom (pinched out of course).

The two experimental tomatoes I put out are also outgrowing the coffee cans I put around them. I think I will look for more plants this afternoon. I never did get seeds started inside this year. Sie la vie. I will end up having plenty of onion family to cook with however!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Yes it could have been much worse! Just lost a little sleep and had to run the wetvac for a bit this morning. Sounds like spring has definitely sprung up north. Your weather looks like smooth sailing after the next 2 nights dip below 40. You might want to wait until the weekend to put out the new tomatoes.

I have another row of radishes that are ready but we haven't even finished the ones I harvested last weekend yet. My romaine lettuces are just starting to head up so I should be able to start harvesting in a couple weeks. I'm hoping that with my staggered planting I don't get hit with heads that all need to be picked at the same time. No 80s in the 15 day forecast here so at least they shouldn't bolt. The Muir, Nevada, and Jericho can take some heat so I will hold off and eat those last. Need to remember to put down some more slug-go on the lettuce after the rain.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

A quick inspection of the garden last night before another round of light rain showed no damage other than a few broken onion leaves which was expected. A few plants were leaning to the east due to the high westerly winds but they should straighten up in a day or 2. I think I saw a few bean sprouts starting to push their way thru the mud after just 4 days :). No sign of cukes sprouting though but I wouldn't expect to see them until maybe Saturday. Another chance of storms on Saturday but hopefully not severe. I will plant the rest of the cucumbers this weekend and then all of the garden will be full.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Great news Jack! Glad you and the garden are both ok.

The forecast looks great for the cool weather stuff, but it is not looking great for my planned May 8th planting of the solanaceous crops. Lows in the low 40s is very worrying for the peppers and eggplants. Hopefully the forecast is looking more like 50 and up by then.

There was some ice on the top of the car but no frost in the garden.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Yea, it was 48 this morning here with cold NW winds. Not ideal for the peppers. I didn't plan any eggplant this year. I just remembered that I have a 20 gallon smart pot that Dripworks sent me as a free bonus when I ordered my AG19. I guess I will stick one of my extra Carmen peppers in there but I need to get a couple bags of suitable potting mix first and do it before I'm laid up. Not sure it is worth the $ to buy 20 gallons of potting mix since I probably already have enough peppers.

Hopefully your weather will warm up by next weekend...still 10 days away!

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Glad to hear that, Jack! Hopefully we get to see some pics soon :-)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

I will see if I can get some pictures this weekend. Where do you guys host your pictures?

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

I usually just upload them right from my phone.

Peter, I was checking temps in the 10-day forecast and...http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=us&t=10d. It's almost comical at this point. The entire country is sitting in warmer temps by day 10, but NY and all of New England has cool temps just hovering. Unreal.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I want the warmer temps on May 8th. Until then it cam stay just how it is. :)

No need to host pictures, the new Houzz Gardenweb does it for you. Very easy.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

OK thanks I'll check it out.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I unload my photos off my old digital camera to my desktop and upload them to GardenWeb right from there. IIRC you need to allow popup windows. Just use the photo icon at the bottom of the page.

38F this morning with rain with spatters of snow in it on the way to the doctors appointment. Both parking ramps were full; and so I had to walk an extra two blocks in the weather just to get into the hospital complex. We are supposed to have sun and somewhat warmer tomorrow; so I will get to see if the two tomatoes I put out and the peach blossoms that are just now going past peak survived it ok. Potatoes, all the alliums, the tulips, radishes, lettuce and carrots are taking this all in stride around here.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Dutch - hope nothing serious causing the doctor visit. My cool weather crops are enjoying this cool spell we are having especially the lettuce. I already need to hill up the potatoes again and fill the asparagus and leek trenches a bit more. We have some rain in the forecast over the weekend which may hamper my plans a bit for getting some things done before surgery.

I'm going to hold off until next weekend to plant the rest of my cucumbers since the cool spell will have ended with highs in the upper 70s and low 80s starting Thursday. If I don't feel up to it I will get my son to do it for me. It's only 2 8' rows.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    8 years ago

I just started to harden off my peppers and eggplants. They are very green and tender. I plan to plant them out the first week of May, depending on weather of course. I'll spend this weekend to weed my vegetable beds and get the bean area ready. Need to dig new beds.

To many weeds.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    8 years ago

Here try to get some suggestions on installing my bean trellis. The trellis will support cuke, pole beans and possibly luffa. I have quite a few large bamboo sticks, about 1" diameter, pretty long, like 8' to 10' tall. But they were harvested last year and show some decay.

I can install teepees and use strings. Not sure if I save space that way. I can also install flat trellis with end posts, line posts and top links and use strings from the ground to the top posts. I may use metal T-posts as end posts and bamboo posts as line posts and top posts. I'll use wood posts to dig holes and stick the bamboo sticks in. I prefer the trellis high, at least 8' tall. I'll be using ladder to harvest. Some of the beans are tall, like hyacinth beans. The luffa can get very tall.

Ideas and comments?

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jack, take of your self, with your upcoming surgery and all. My visit was just a routine followup, and came out just fine, but thanks for the concern. I spent 8 days in the cardiac unit up here just over a year ago, but other than the pile of drugs they have me taking every day now I am back to normal, in fact better than I was before that thing happened. I am going on 68; so I am no spring chicken anymore, but I still keep up my own house and work full time and intend to keep that up as long as I can.

Looks to me like my two little gambling tomatoes and my peach blossoms have taken out cold here in stride. If I get anything set on the peaches like the amount of blossom, there is going to be quite a bit of thinning needed. A real labor of love that will be!

I should also be getting ten Bud9 apple rootstocks in the mail real soon. They've been shipped. Grafting those is going to be a new experience. Now I just gotta find the room to put them in... :-)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Dutch, Good that it's nothing serious and you are feeling well. I know you said you had been under the weather a week or 2 ago.

Yea it's going to be tough trying to keep myself in-check for awhile. I'm not one to sit around doing nothing but staring at the boob-tube but I think I'll be in pain for a few days at least so that should keep me reigned in.

Nice that your tomatoes weathered well and the peaches. Just shake the tree to thin it! Or maybe wait for the inevitable spring storm to do it for you. I've planted a few apple trees before but did not care for them well and they succumbed to neglect. I also have several cedar trees on my property so cedar rust might be an issue for apples.

Redsun - I have used 8' T-posts with cheap fencing strung between using zip ties. I just use the fencing that comes in 50' rolls and is 4' wide with 2"x4" openings. With this type of trellis you need to be able to harvest from both sides. I've never used teepees or bamboo so can't help you there.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Jack, I am sure once the pain subsides, you can do stuff... just nothing involving physical exertion.

I need to harden off my plants and the weather is not cooperating. Cold, and rain, rain and more rain now. I was raving about this Espoma mix but in the end, they are not as big as last year. I will be happy to see them in their rightful place in the ground.

I also have the clear plastic down outside, and it is all dried out underneath, I want to pull it up and clean up the weeds and get the soil living again, but it is so cold tomorrow not getting above 50 with heavy rain....

The one variety of tomato I am growing, Chef's Choice, is doing awful, with what appears to be severe edema, bumps all over the leaves, curled, the lower branches turned colors and fell off. It's perplexing, the other varieties are fine. I am about ready to chuck the plants in case it is something contagious.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Funny how we said we weren't getting enough rain, now it keeps coming. Got another .25" yesterday and tomorrow is supposed to pour.
    One thing good about the rain is the garlic and perennials are loving it:

Spearmint much bigger than last time I posted it

Catmint and Agastache are getting big. Both are very important in my garden because they attract A LOT of pollinators.
    Garlic is incredible. I hope this foliage is an indicator of how well the bulbs will grow(A little photobomb from the horseradish)
    Rhubarb has really taken off

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Very nice Chris. My rhubarb seems to have died over winter... or maybe during last year's drought. No one cooks it in my house anyway.

Brussels Sprouts

Broccoli

I took the wire baskets off the brassicas so this will give them more sun.

Peas

Potatoes.. beets to the right

Garlic

Onions

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago
    Looking great!

My bunching onions and leeks are stagnant and haven't grown much. I don't think I'll get anything out of them. Peas and beets are starting to pick up, but they are behind yours.
  • Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

I'm sure they'll start growing and should produce something. At least some leeks and green onions. Seems like you have a smidgen shorter season than me. Give them another week or two.

At least we had a nice sunny day between the rain.

Well my plants got some excellent hardening off today, I had them in dappled shade all day and they seemed to enjoy it. Nice and calm with little wind. Alas it will be 2 days until I can put them out again. It may not get out of the 40s at all tomorrow.

I was raving about this Espoma mix but my plants are smaller than last year. That Nature's Care last year really worked great. My plants this year are in need of supplemental fertilization. The tomatoes especially look pretty bad leaf wise, though they have a nice rootball and a nice fat stem so I guess it doesn't really matter. It's interesting I actually find growing tomatoes from seed indoors to be more finicky than peppers or eggplants... or brassicas for that matter.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    8 years ago

Planted first batch of snap bush beans. I'm a little early. But I have plenty of seeds and I can plant them again if there is wholesale germination problem.

Peppers and eggplants are still hardening off. Want to get ready for cukes and some winter squash.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

I hope you're right, Peter.

Yes, we needed a good sunny day between the rain. Nice that you were able to start hardening them off!

Is it the Espoma Organic Seed Starter? That's what I'm using. The tomatoes and peppers have had some minor leaf discoloration. My Sun Gold tomato seedling had one bottom leaf turn yellow and I removed it. No problems otherwise.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

No it is the Espoma Potting Mix. The peppers were off to a faster start but then fizzled a little and needed some ferts. The tomatoes are having issues with it. All in all not bad, except the Chef's Choice, but last year was better.

I used Burpee seed starting mix with coir and everything HATED that, but were happy once pulled out of it.

The "seed starting" mix is typically very low in nutrients and requires fertilization.

The weather forecast is looking up! After a wet and cold week, I see 70s/50s starting next week, right on time for my warm season transplants.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Yeah I think maybe now that the seedlings are bigger they need more nutrients. I've been giving them some fish emulsion, but I'm not sure it's enough.

Yup! I see the temps increasing too. Hopefully the weather stays somewhat clear too. I see this cold and wet weather and I worry about rotting.

Hey, ya think it's about time we make a chapter IV?

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    8 years ago

Sure go for it. Hopefully after chapter 4 this can become a harvest thread :)

I use Miracle Gro in the indoor pots... the only time I use it. 1/8 teaspoon per liter of water for full strength. Just a pinch.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Just started a new thread. Seed Starting Time IV