SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjpeace

Austins are surpsingly cane hardy for me this year but not others

jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've just come back inspecting my garden the first time this spring and I've noticed that quite a few of my austins are cane hardy. We did have a mild winter however but they are more cane hardier than other roses. L.D. Braitwaite, Golden Celebration, Mary Rose, Heritage, Teasing Georgia and Evelyn have at least 2/3 of their canes still green and leafing out too. This will be the first year where I will be having tall austins in my garden. Teasing Georgia especially is going to be a big shrub for me. I honestly didn't anticipate this as I have my roses planted close together.

My New Dawn is pretty much cane hardy with little damage as expected. I am a bit disappointed that Don Juan, Eden, Crown Princess Margarite, Graham Thomas, Lichtkoningin Lucia, Fourth of July, Westerland and Rosarium Uetersen don't have a cane that survived the mild winter. However, there are lots of new growth coming up.

With the exception of two hybrid teas (whose names I don't remember), the rest are not cane hardy as expected.

It looks like I may have lost a rose bush. I don't remember what it is but it could had been a transplanted rose from last year that I moved. I will give it a bit of time to see if it is really dead.

Comment