SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
q22skidoo

Aphids on my plumb tree!

q22skidoo
8 years ago

Hello, I have a young (5-6 years old) plumb tree in my yard here in the East Bay Area, Northern California. After standing leafless all winter, the tree suddenly bloomed a few weeks ago and with it came aphids. Lots of them. This happened last year, too, but it was just the extremities and younger leaves, and I easily took care of it with a spray bottle and some diluted dish soap.

This year, whole branches are teeming with the aphids and the ground below the tree has a light dusting of whatever that stuff is that drops off of them. Sometimes, just walking under the tree will make you look like you have a bad case of dandruff.

I would love it if a swarm of ladybugs moved in, but so far I've seen exactly one. I even bought a mesh bag full of ladybugs once for a different aphid problem, but they all took off upon release, and I realized then that buying a swarm of bugs is like buying a bald eagle for your backyard tree... kind of a waste of money.

I have a pump sprayer. Should I just do what I did with the dish soap, but on a much larger scale? Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH