SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsheldonb

Repot with Patty's mix in Phoenix, AZ

AZ Doug
8 years ago

I have officially "over loved" my little ruby red grapefruit tree. Check it out:

Following another post about over watering in Phoenix, I am following the fix recommended by Patty for our dry climate. Check out that post here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1829370/treating-an-overwatered-citrus-i-think-help

The mix is 3 parts miracle gro garden soil for veggies/fruits, 1 part perlite, and 1 part earth grow pine bark. I took some liberties with brands/types based on what was available. (All from Home Depot) Photo below.

I mixed up per the ratios recommended and got a consistency looking like this. I know some will complain that I didnt screen - oh well :)

We then took the tree and dipped the roots (with help from my daughter) in water to remove the old mix.

Then we removed the dead/rotted roots as much as possible.

Then we repotted and added osmocote. Went a little lighter than the the instructions on the bottle and then flooded the pot. Here is the result. Will institute new watering practices to help things improve. I recently ordered dyna gro from Amazon and will start application in two weeks. Will keep everyone posted on how things progress!!

Comments (10)