SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

A different (not in a good way) children's book

Alisande
8 years ago

A friend of mine, a children's book author and editor, gave me a stack of books for my grandsons the other day. She's done this before, and the books are wonderful. This time, however, the collection includes one I'm not planning to read to them.

It was published in 1936, and it's called The Hole Book. Every page has a hole in it. The story is told in cute little poems that accompany the illustrations. The tone is very light--appropriate for a child's book. But it's about a little boy who plays with a gun--a real gun--and "the pesky thing went off most unexpectedly."

The bullet smashes the clock on the mantel, and goes through the wall. Each consecutive page shows what the bullet does--hence the hole that goes through the pages. It's all very funny, like when the bullet severs the rope holding up the swing where a little girl sits. Except I'm not laughing.

My family target shoots, and our little boys know this. We don't want to give them any idea that a kid can put his hands on a gun---especially when firing it results in all sorts of cute, funny things.

It's a clever concept, and I know times have changed, but I'm surprised this got published even in 1936.

The pic is from the 1930s: my aunt driving her rather snazzy car, with her sister-in-law next to her and her mother (my grandmother) in the back seat.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio