SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

I don't think it's Tuscany Superb!

Alana8aSC
8 years ago

It's been a couple of years since I put it in the ground and it never bloomed. Now that it has this is what I have. What is it, very light/fleeting to no scent!?

Comments (56)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

Um. That's not Tuscany Superb. Sorry! Mine has bristly canes. I don't know what yours is. Christopher always suggests looking for a letter near yours in the alphabet--R, S, T. U from the catalog of the seller. That might help. Sorry

Susan

Alana8aSC thanked Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    8 years ago

It isn't Tuscany Superb

It isn't Tuscany

It isn't Dr. Huey

It isn't a once blooming OGR, though there is something vaguely familiar about it. I'm wondering about Skyrocket, though it should bloom in clusters.

Alana8aSC thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • Related Discussions

Love it! - More roses the color of Tuscany Superb, please.

Q

Comments (14)
    Jeri - Gorgeous rose! BS is a problem here. Mildew - not so much. Diane - The Prince might be a good one. I think it is a borderline hardy Austin for my area. I'll have to look into it a bit. Souvenir d'Alphonse Lavallée looks great too. I've only got one HP (BP) so far. HMF says that Souvenir d'Alphonse Lavallée has an excellent disease resistance from member ratings. For an HP wouldn't 'excellent' be an anomaly? How is hardiness? Heirloom lists theirs at zone 6. Something that big would have to go in the ground for me so would have to hold up to zone 5. Very interested though.
    ...See More

Building a New custom Home - Don't think I can make it!!

Q

Comments (35)
    Decisionmaker and all others who are having a rough time, I hope things get better soon my heart goes out to you hearing your stories and frustration. Someone compared this process to pregnancy and childbirth and I think that is true. Dreamed of, prayed for, all that fun in 'planning' :), then when you are actually expecting it is so exciting then it is so scary, then you feel sick for...months...then you feel better then the last weeks drag on and on and finally you don't think you can take it and then after great work and pain you get the greatest gift you have ever known and forget all the bad things and feel the joy. I hope you will all feel the joy SOON. For myself, I tend to be a 'researcher' and feel empowered even in the midst of a stressful situation if I am prepared for it and know why things are happening. So I am wondering, if you could share what in particular has caused you the most stress and if you could have done anything to avoid it or if it is just a part of the building process? Beehappy2007, I immediately thought of The Owner Builder Book, and Amy Johnston's Book when you asked about resources so there is a second recommendation for you. As for your land purchase, I am sure a lawyer will tell you this, or even an escrow officer: get a title report and make sure there is a provision for title insurance in the contract. You might also check on the availability of utilities and water. If there are going to be higher than average costs for septic, utilities or water or if there are zoning restrictions or easments it can affect the 'usability' of the land and therefore affects the value. Bellamay, From this and other posts I have read from you, you seem to be a builder with integrity that truly cares about your customers and others who are building homes. Perhaps you could share from your point of view how some of the stress and heartache can be avoided...or at least lessened? I know I would appreciate any helpful advice on how to have a smoother build and I'm sure others would too. Thanks.
    ...See More

Hannah Montana double. I don't think it's awful. Do you?

Q

Comments (6)
    It is possible that it was still her voice and it was not lip-synching, and that she was singing during her costume change and stage arrangment. I don't think I would have been bothered by it, unless the entire production was a body double with lip-synching so they could hold concurrent concerts.
    ...See More

I don't think it's a grass but what is it?

Q

Comments (1)
    It looks like Soliva sessilis (Lawn Burweed) or similar.
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    8 years ago

Without those stamen, yeah. I don't think it's either T.S. or T.

Where'd you get it?

Alana8aSC thanked jerijen
  • Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    8 years ago

I agree with Mad. There is something vaguely familiar and it seems to be a modern rose. ???

Alana8aSC thanked Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can say for almost certainty it's a once bloomer. It didn't bloom at all last year. Or at least I think it is. I can't remember if I got it from burlington or longago, but I'm pretty sure it's one of them. It was so long ago I can't remember for certain. That and I've never had an ID issue with either of them. It could have been RVR. I think the leaves were matte, not glossy but will check tomorrow for certain. The first few were in rain :) It does have some clusters forming, but most are single so far. When some fresh blooms open I will post better pics of those. That bloom is really not that old maybe a day..the stamens brown fast and it holds it's color very well in heat..I've noticed. It doesn't seem to fade fast. I will leave the next bloom on and see how long it lasts. Our weather has gotten a little cooler, so that could be helping. Warm/hottish then cool. None to very light fleeting scent. Ohh and as you can see alittle, old foliage is black spotted, probably from all the rain we have been receiving. New foliage is beautiful.

• monarda_gw
    8 years ago

Could it be a chance seedling that sprang up in the nursery and suckered into a bed of Tuscany Superb? These things happen. The real Tuscany Superb is a double, very dark flower. Stems on Helpmefind pics are studded with dark little prickles, buds are very rounded.

Alana8aSC thanked monarda_gw
  • Claire8WA
    8 years ago

I agree not TS (apart from other inconsistencies, she never black spots in my garden), T or Dr.H, those smooth canes and red prickles say some repeat blooming genes to me...but...photos are so hard aren't they? Happy to send you a rooted sucker of my TS if you want to try it.

cheers

Claire

Alana8aSC thanked Claire8WA
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

It's definitely not a Gallica. If you got it from Long Ago Roses or Burlington Roses, the "nearest alphabetically" search might not be applicable, since these aren't large nurseries. If I had to wager a place to start searching, I'd look through modern climbers. It does have a bit of a 'Dr. Huey' look to it, but not a real match. I started looking through Long Ago Roses' HelpMeFind listing, and 'Dublin Bay' seemed similar. But then I realized that you aren't sure that this is the nursery. If you have a premium HelpMeFInd membership, check the nurseries you think sent it to you, and sort their listings by class. Then skip ahead to "climbers".

:-)

~Christopher

Alana8aSC thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • nikthegreek
    8 years ago

Looks to me like something out of the middle 20th century Kordes stable. But I might be far off, as usual. Those often have a faint green apple scent btw.

Alana8aSC thanked nikthegreek
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well I am probably going to move it since it is in a good sunny location. I appreciate the offer Claire, but I actually ordered another Tuscany Superb from Burlington for some reason I can't fathom. So I have another. I was going to gift it to my mom, since I didn't know why I ordered it. Maybe I had a feeling this rose wasn't right? Well maybe she would like a piece of whatever this suckering not TS is. I don't think that it's Blaze Christopher but thanks for trying. It only has 12 petals, at least the one I dissected last night did. It may get more petals as it gets bigger. Who knows maybe Monarda is right about a chance seedling in a bed of Tuscany. Thanks everyone for your help!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK ya'll here's a updated picture. Also before I post that, wanted to share another piece of information. All the old canes are completly thornless. The new growth on the old canes that produced the blooms and new cane growth has thorn. New pictures are wierd to say the least. this is two flowers from the same cane, but from different growth spots on that canes, that produced the blooms. Different colored flowers though. and different size...

Almost opened bud has big yellow stamens though and a light scent-smells good, I will get a bigger whiff when it opens all the way..
    here's the other photo's I took...

Opinions please?

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's more pictures. I can't get a goof enough whiff of the scent yet to determine the perfume type- could be a light damask/ or fruity?

the pink one opened
    along with a few others
    the other pink bloom..it had two

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I counted the petals on the three blooms I had that were red, and I got 15, 18, and 22. The fragrance is fruity with a hint of damask is what I say... It smells like another rose I have let me find out which one and it will give you a better idea.

• User
    8 years ago

It isn't 'Tuscany Superb', and its definitely not even a Gallica. If I were to use just flower color and plant parts/growth habit to judge it, I would have said 'Dr. Huey', but the bloom is quite incorrect for 'Dr. Huey'. I'm betting its something modern(ish) of HT pedigree, maybe from Kordes?

Alana8aSC thanked User
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Just bumping this up! It's not re-blooming, so I will post more pictures in Spring. Also, I found a thread and whatever it is, I got it from Vintage, I bumped up the thread on that too. Maybe fresh eyes and ideas?

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

What about Dortmond?

Alana8aSC thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think that's it, all the blooms are single on Dortmond, where this is semi-double. The occasional repeat could come later,after maturing more, but right now this rose is a once bloomer. I got this rose from vintage in 2013 as a band.it's been in the ground about 3 years I guess. Keep the ideas coming. The blooms on this rose seem extremely variable, but maybe this coming spring , since this was it's first year blooming, maybe the blooms will be more consistent next year, as to there true color and form. I know I will be posting update pictures in Spring.

• susuwantsit
    7 years ago

Did it set hips?

Alana8aSC thanked susuwantsit
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not that I've seen yet. This was it's first year blooming. I will update again in the spring though and hopefully then we will know better. So far Mad_Gallica has come the closet with SkyRocket as far as looks, but I have no re-bloom or hips.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It starts off a reddiish pink, and fades to a dark red. Light, maybe a fruity scent...no repeat...yet.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think it's probably a Kordes rose, but who I don't know.

• User
    7 years ago

Have a look at 'Nur Mahal' and see what you think, Alana...

Alana8aSC thanked User
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe..I do know it has thick and while you can bend the canes, they are stiff. It's atleast 6 feet tall..maybe more. but it holds it's canes really well,it's not floppy, I think I will add some Rebar for it, just to get more bloom.

Is Nur Mahal blackspot prone, this is, but it put's out new leaves really fast..

• User
    7 years ago

I can't recall about blackspot. I only grew it once and for one season, as I moved on... it didn't repeat that first year, so I didn't grow it again...I'm not the most patient unfortunately... but your photos reminded me of it... I hope it does well for you in the longer term...

Alana8aSC thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

I would swear that's 'Dr. Huey'......

Alana8aSC thanked User
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

To me it doesn't look like it, and aren't you Trospero..or am I mixing up, you said it didn't look like it up top.. Dr. Huey looks like it has very floppy canes on the HMF photo's and this one has very stiff canes, no need to support, but I am going to try wrapping them on something for more bloom anyway. Can anyone say how Dr. Huey's growth habit's are? It even black-spotted before blooming this year, as you can see from the pictures. Does Dr. Huey blooms sometimes have pink flowers in it -not just red, because this one does. I don't grow it ( Dr. Huey) so I can't say for sure really what it is or isn't. That's why I post it here :) Maybe someone will for sure know it- or it can just remain a mystery :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

To me, the lower pictures do look like Dr Huey while the first not so much.

Alana8aSC thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

IS Nur Mahal a weak grower Marlorena? I'm judging it to be from someone else's post about it..I don't remember how this one was in the beginning..that was to close to my wreck. Also does Nur Mahal grow like a Hybrid Musk or a Climber? I would say this act's more like a stiff caned climber..

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks Sheila, I'll take some more pictures and see if that can help. Also what are Dr. Huey's growth habit's, ect. Also if someone could post clear IDing pictures of Dr. Huey, Skyrocket and Nur Mahel, I would deeply appreciate it. I ask for clear, and closeup, my eye's are in need of a checkup :)

I'm honestly going between Skyrocket and Nur Mahel...I think it needs to mature more too. Most repeat climbers won't repeat anyways until they get bigger.. I think..I don't feed mine heavy either :) I'll give it some more food after blooming and see if I get any repeat this year.

I'm up late and cannot sleep :(

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Ditto what Sheila said. Carol

Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Alana, if my Huey blooms this spring (I whacked him a bit hard), I'll photograph him. Carol

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    7 years ago

Looks like Dr. Huey to me. Check out this photo from HMF--Dr. Huey

Alana8aSC thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • User
    7 years ago

Alana,.... yes my 'Nur Mahal' was very slow to start, but I have to defer to others regarding 'Dr Huey', they would know, but your description of the rose so far, with its sometimes pink blooms and growth habit, conforms to what I used to see, but the clincher will be this season surely, as the other roses mentioned repeat bloom, but Dr H doesn't, so if it remains like that, then this should decide it for you..?..

Over here, Dr H is described I see as a Wichurana rambler with vigorous upright growth habit, is this what you see too?... I think you'll know soon...

Alana8aSC thanked User
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks ya'll! Thank You Tessiess for the picture, that confirmed it for me. I was hoping it was a Kordes rose. My only order from Vintage and I get a Dr. Huey for one of them, gotta laugh about that. I would have noticed it sooner, I'm betting if I hadn't had been in that car wreck. and had so much going on after. My husband is happy though, he wants to try grafting with it. Atleast I know what a Dr. Huey looks like now, I've always wondered because, well for one I didn't want to try rooting one if I found it, lol. Also I've always wondered because I've never had any root-stock problems with it. I think it's a good rose to be grafted onto here. I do wanna move it though, I'm going to wait until fall. It's in a very good location. I just gotta make sure to get all the roots though right? I'll have to dig a really deep hole. Do you think I'll be able to get them all ( the roots)? If it wasn't right at the front of the rose bed, I wouldn't mess with it.. Anyway's thanks everyone so much for the help! Now help me move it please!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will still like some of your photo's if he blooms this Spring Carol if you don't mind.

Also my husband suggested not moving him, just look past him, so I don't spread him around. What do ya'll think? I guess I can still put up some rebar for more bloom, since my husband wants to play with grafting. I've always wanted to try it too. The only time he's an eye sore is when he blackspots and since he grows back pretty leaves fast, I guess I can just go over him..just let me eye's glaze over as they pass by, lol

• yuccarose
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I read the posts on this forum all the time, but I've never actually posted anything. I do think it's funny that my first post would be about Dr. Huey! However, I do have a full blown specimen, mildew and all. I haven't decided yet whether to move it, shovel it or? It came with the house. For me, Dr. Huey is a huge cascading shrub. There is no pink to any of the flowers. I hope these photos work. Full bush shots and flowers. By the way, I'm in Yucca Valley, CA, Hot and dry, zone 8b/9. Dr. Huey loves it here. Thank you all so much for sharing your rose wisdom here! I hope to join the discussions more often, now that I've jumped in!

Alana8aSC thanked yuccarose
  • yuccarose
    7 years ago

I got some bud shots as well. Hope this helps! Laurel

close up of buds

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yucca Rose, welcome aboard! And thanks to the good doctor for introducing us. :-) Carol

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yucca rose thanks for all the pictures! Do you think it looks like mine? Also welcome to the forum, I'm glad you started posting and feel thrilled I'm your first post :) I'm glad the doctor introduced us too!

• yuccarose
    7 years ago

Alana, your second batch of photos look more like my Dr. H. Looking back at my photos, my flowers are more dark red than in my pics. Think Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona dark red. It's been cooler than normal here, so that may account for it, but yes, I think you probably have the good Dr. He actually is very attractive here except for that mildew. I don't generally have disease problems here, but Dr. Huey will mildew if you even whisper the word.

Thanks for welcoming me!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just a update. Unless it's just some late blooms, which I rather doubt. All other once bloomers are done. This thing is reblooming..so I'm just going with sky rocket or Nur Mahal for now... My bloom came early this year, so my once bloomers have been done for s while.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hey, Alana. Thank you for the update! I was actually thinking of you and your rose the other day as I walked through the neighborhood. You must be psychic because I have been planning to unearth this post from the forum history. (I use the word "unearth" to imply laborious digging. I am at a loss as to how to search for old threads and need to figure out the new system.)

I want to offer a bit of my experience with the two HMs, Nur Mahal and Sky Rocket. I have never seen either one hit that true dark red note that your rose hits. In my experience, they don't deepen to that color. They tend to have more crimson-pink undertones. I would swear up and down that your rose is Dr. Huey except for the pink "sport" in an earlier photo (which really stumped me) and, now, the suspected remontancy.

I also wanted to share something really odd that I spotted last summer in Portland. A number of neighbors are growing what I believe is Dr. Huey. The circumstances are right for Huey--neglected or abandoned garden or a cluster of contemporary cultivars that seem to be sending out shoots of rootstock or plants in formerly neglected gardens which are now tended by new homeowners. Last summer, I could have sworn I saw later blooms on some of those plants that I believe to be Huey. If my year hadn't been so crazy, I would have stopped to photograph the blooms/plants. This year, I'm hoping that I'll have time to keep my eyes open for the impossible, and if I see it, I'll swing the car to the side of the road and pull out my phone camera.

Can anyone speak to this phenomenon? Does Huey carry the possibility of minor remontancy when growing under some set of unusual circumstances? I hesitate to even mention it for fear of sounding like I've lost my mind, but last year rhododendrons and camellias rebloomed, as did my Magnolia soulingeana. Carol

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Carol! Maybe some one else will chime in, but if it blooms again, I'm saying not him. Maybe it someone else too, who knows..

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Yes, please do keep us updated, Alana. More remontancy surely can't be Huey! Carol

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I had a rose when I moved here that I later figured out had to be Dr. Huey. The blooms were lovely, but the BS was terrible. I swear it kept blooming end of April through September here. The replacement is Orfeo which has better foliage.

Alana8aSC thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Another bloom Carol!

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Alana, the roses in my area that I believe to be Huey are still blooming, too! I'll try to maneuver to other parts of the neighborhood to photograph them. (It's too hot at the moment.) One questionable specimen that I pass every week has been blooming off and on since late spring/early summer. It is growing smack in the middle of a stand of Austins, so surely it's Huey!

Sheila, your observation reinforces mine and makes me even more curious. I don't remember seeing Huey rebloom like this 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe an odd flower or two at most.

Alana, I got your message and will reply shortly. Apologies for the delay (again)! I've been in the middle of med issues with my daughter. Carol

• User
    5 years ago

For some reason, I've been seeing more Dr. Huey than ever in my neighborhood this year. I don't know if it's because I have a better eye to identify it now, more of my neighbors are buying roses at Home Depot and neglecting them, or the crazy weather is causing the rootstock to take over more often. The Dr. Huey looks so terrible with mildew and dead flowers, I don't know how people can't notice it and cut it back.

• yuccarose
    5 years ago

Sorry, I’m late responding to this post, but YES, Dr. Huey will rebloom if the conditions are right. We had very mild conditions here this year and Dr. Huey has bloomed several times. Smaller flushes, to just a few flowers, but enough to be called a repeat bloomer and it didn’t produce its usual spectacular spring flush. It didn’t mildew either...

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I thought maybe it was something else. I thought it ( dr.huey) was a once bloomer. Wonder why it changed? We haven't had mild weather though..hot and humid, and dry. No rain for a month. Weird.