SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

That Darn Cat!

Holly- Kay
8 years ago

I loved that movie when I was a child but my boy Simba has made that title strike close to home. I have never had two kittens (they aren't now but were when I adopted them). It was over 30 years since I had a kitten even though I've had cats all my life and even though I've had two cats at a time several times I usually only had one.

As soon as I brought my boys home the destruction began. Within a few days they broke an antique picture that was up on a bookshelf. They destroyed every dried hydrangea arrangement I had in the house. It was hilarious to see Simba come prancing out of a room with a stem of hydrangea in his mouth. They knocked a Waterford vase onto the floor (thankfully the way it landed it survived the fall). They've chewed the finials on my new Ethan Allen chairs. They chase each other and jump from chair to chair with such force that the recliners recline. Simba knocked my glass Kinzig lamp over (it has a beautiful art glass base) onto a piece of furniture and the brass gouged the furniture but at least the shade and glass survived the fall. They've broken at least four china plates (they now eat off of plastic). They have upended a dining room chair twice and the pegs are now loosened in it. Last week Simba ran full speed, jumped onto the piano knocked my brass mouse off a stack of books and gouged the piano in several places while it was falling. From the piano he jumped onto my secretary desk knocking my treenware pig filled with faux gourds onto the floor. How he missed knocking my Wedgwood lamp in the process is a miracle. The next day Toby knocked a Limoge piece onto my office desk and it broke. Yesterday though was the worst. My cleaning lady was at the house and moved the chairs from around the breakfast area table to vacuum. The one chair was at the top of our stairway. Simba must have decided to jump onto the back of it and unbalanced the chair. My cleaning lady was in the dining room and I was in the library. There was a huge crash so we both hurried out and found the chair had tumbled down onto the stairway landing, Simba must have taken a ride along with the chair. When CL went down to retrieve the chair the finial had hit the wall, put a big gouge in it and the finial snapped off. Thank goodness Simba is fine but it scared the daylights out of him and he stayed hidden for a bit. Of course the chair was the one that Simba hasn't gnawed on.

When and will my boys settle down? Is it because I have two that they are so wild? Am I destined to live in a cat proof house? My boys have destroyed or damaged more items than my children and grandchildren combined ever did. I am looking around today and I have so many items that are fragile with no good place to store them. Gahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Comments (41)