SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seandocherty96

Growing trees now To be moved later

seandocherty96
8 years ago

Hi,

i am planning on doing a self build later in life and want to have some nice trees in the garden. However I won't be building for atleast 6 - 7 years. I have started growing some trees that I like, jacaranda, rhodendron (it's a bush but training as a tree), and wisteria.

my jacaranda is currently 6 month old from seed and is about 10 inch tall. Firstly does anyone think this is slow for a jacaranda?

In have a 1.5m grafted wisteria it's currently tall and thin. Got a lot of work to do on it.

The others are still really small.

Now the the big question is I plan on moving later and would like to take these trees with me to plant in the ground.

i don't know how tall and wide to expect these trees to get in 6 -7 years but what's the best way for me to train them so that they get thick trunks to support themselves and give them the best start in the ground in 6 years?

I was thinking of maybe the bonsai cut and grow technique but just not as a bonsai. As usually the bonsai technique you'd cut it at say 1m down to 30cm but I could let it grow to 3m then cut it down to 1m?

The main issue I'm going to face is getting the trees from my garden currently through my house and into a removal van. So trees would have to fit through a normal size doorway for 6 years but I want them to have a massive root structure which will support them for fast growth when they get out in the ground.

Space at the new property won't be an issue so trees can grow free. Any advice on any training techniques I havnt heard of which would help in this situation would be great :)

Also I will be keeping these trees in extremely large fabric air pots so they can be moved. I currently pot them in a mix of compost, coco coir, perlite and canna a and b fertiliser.

Comments (6)