SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauline227514

Need Suggestions for my Blank Kitchen Wall

Our "new" home is just over a year old and one of the remaining items on our checklist is to determine what we should do with a completely blank wall in our kitchen. The wall is directly behind the island seats. The wall space is 92" wide and the ceilings are 9' tall. The width of the "pathway" between the wall and the backs of the chairs is 48" with the chairs pushed in and approximately 38" with the chairs pulled out to where they'd typically be when in use. The pathway is used often as it's the route to and from the garage and 1st floor half bath.

My husbands vision for this space is to put a chair rail across the wall (as can be seen in the dining room and front hall which both flank this wall) and to then put a giant "classy looking" chalkboard with a big chunky decorative picture frame bordering it.

My vision initially when designing the home was to put some shallow base cabinets along this wall with a granite countertop and then some even more shallow wall cabinets up top for storing and displaying glassware. We never could find the right cabinets and the builder felt the space was too small to accommodate the cabinets and foot traffic so we ended up leaving it empty for future use. Well the future is here and I'm hopeful the creative minds on this site can help with some suggestions!

From the pictures you can probably get a feel for our style - traditional but with a coastal/contemporary feel. We have a 3 year old son in case that might play into any ideas. I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions ahead of time!

Comments (25)