SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_xmas

A potting get medium experiment, and some questions.

I bought this little crassula the other day:

Since it's in 4 separate sections, I thought, "I'll plant each piece in a different medium and track the growth!"

Sounds like fun to me.

#1 is in a medium that was touted at a succulent and cacti "talk" I went to. The guy claims he has been using this mix with GREAT results for 30 years.

1 part MG cacti & palm potting mix, 1 part perlite, 1 part pavers sand.

Giggle if you must, but I had 4 plants, 4 pots, and all 3 ingredients, so why not?

Straight MG cacti & succulent soil.

SunGro Black Gold cactus mix. Volcanic pumice, perlite, sand and forest humus, not sure of the ratio.

My first attempt at a gritty mix! 1:1:1, crushed granite:fir bark fines:caladama.

The fir bark fines I bought as Repti Bark at Pet Supermarket. The lady was happy, apparently they want to carry more reptiles and they were told they needed to sell more reptile stuff first. I was happy to help.

The crushed granite and caladama I was lucky enough to aquire (for free!) from my bonsai crazy dad. He was pretty excited, although he hid it well, that I was interested in making my own potting medium, even if it will differ from his. I also think he wants me to find something good so he can use it on the small handful of succs I have given him.

I kind of wish I wouldn't have used the caladama, since it's not something I'll be able to buy regularly, but this is just for fun, right?

I'll post some more pictures when I notice any changes.

Now on to my questions:

1. What is your tried and true mix?

2. Where do you buy your ingredients? Lowe's and HD here have squat, and my dad says he hasn't been able to find crushed granite anywhere, even as chicken grit. So, specific websites if you buy online please.

3. I LOVE hanging pots, and this mix is way too heavy for that use, so does anyone have a mix they've been using that is lighter?

4. What fertilizer do you use? I have some MG cacti & succulent stuff, not the foam, but I know there has to be something better.

5. How do you water? I use a spray bottle inside and a small watering can out.

Thanks so much!

Comments (21)