SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Interesting results with potting medium

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a dry topic to discuss, but I just wanted to report a few interesting things I heard. Last sunday at our OS, Wayne Hingston who is one of the directors did a talk about some controlled experiments he performed with potting media. He measured pH levels, amount of dissolved particals as well as drying times for a variety of mediums.

Interestingly, in one experiment, he tried soaking coconut husk as well as bark in boiling water for 16 hours (poured boiling water over them, closed lid, shook around once in a while for the next 16 hrs) and found that not only did the moisture holding capacity of the medium increase several fold (which held true even in subsequent waterings after it had dried out after the first soak), but the boiling water actually leached out incredible amounts of 'stuff' from the media. In particular, the ppm of the water for the husk was in over 3 times after boiling compared to a cold water soak.

I'm curious as to how everyone treats their medium prior to repotting. I'm incredibly lazy and use CHC right out of the bag - just a quick soak in some RO water and then it goes into the pot. I haven't observed any adverse effects, but I have heard that CHC from certain sources will be laden with salts and some people soak 4 or even 5 times prior to use. I don't use bark simply because it doesn't hold enough water for me, but perhaps this boiling treatment would make it more suitable in my conditions.

Another interesting discovery which I thought was unexpected, was that sphagnum moss in a teak basket dried out SLOWER than sphag in a clay pot. In these experiments, everything was soaked in water for a few hours. His rationale was that the teak absorbed water as well, and slowed down the drying of the sphag. I found this shocking, because the teak basket has huge gaping holes, whereas a clay pot definitely doesn't.

Comments (23)