SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theyardbird

Ornamental tree suggestions for central OK (zone 7a)

theyardbird
8 years ago

We live in central Oklahoma (zone 7a). We had a large variegated privet in our backyard. It was 15’ or so tall, and quite wide. It was planted next to our 6’ tall wood fence, in a bed that stretches the length of that fence. We lost roughly half the privet during an ice storm this winter.

We had the whole love/hate relationship with it. On one hand, it was mature and provided nice shade to some hellebores and other plants that fry easily. But on the other, it was unruly, tough to prune, and not that attractive. I toyed with leaving it, knowing that it would fill back in reasonably fast. In any case, my wife hated looking half a privet, so I took it down this weekend. And had choice words for the stump, but was able to remove it too.

We've thought about a Crabapple (possibly Prairiefire), Japanese Maple of some sort, or a few others, but want to see what other options exist. Any suggestions? The area gets a good amount of sun during the day. Light/dappled in the morning, full on during late morning and through much of the afternoon, then dappled through the early evening.

A couple of friends have suggested an Oklahoma Redbud. The ones I've seen around here have been beautiful this spring. I wish they got a touch taller - most of the ones I see don't seem to be more than maybe 10'.

How messy are the various Crabapple versions out there? If I were to get one, I'm not stuck on PrairieFire - it was on a local university's extension list of 'Oklahoma Proven' trees.

Pic taken after the storm (late Nov 2015).

Comments (2)