SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaloup25

carnivorous plants in greenhouse...good idea or not?

Jared
8 years ago

Hi! First off I'd just like to say really quick thank you for everyone who helped me with my last question I posted which was regarding delphiniums. Everyone who posted something was very helpful. Right now I am thinking of buying a small greenhouse I saw in the store the other day. a picture is posted below...what I am thinking of buying is extremely similar to what is pictured below. My questions are in regards to the 3 plants I am thinking of putting in this greenhouse. I live in fort worth texas zone 8. I am thinking of putting one succulent and 2 carnivorous plants within this greenhouse (a tiger's jaw, and a venus fly trap and pitcher plant). So one question I have which is the same question for each of the three plants mentioned- what is worse for each of these plants, too much actual sunlight or too much heat? Because I know these greenhouses can be hotter than outside (and it gets up to 103 here in summer), but they shield from direct sunlight. In regards to the tigers jaw, I am curious if I would need to put it in the greenhouse in summer because im curious if too much direct sunlight would burn it. or would it be ok in direct sunlight here? for the venus fly trap, I have one right now outside that is very healthy, but should I move it in a greenhouse when it gets to peak summer temps to prevent getting burnt? would this actually help or not? I ask because last year I had several....all got burned and dyed in peak of summer. and for the pitcher plant, I have one now, that is surviving fine, but is not super healthy, it has some reddish leaves and appears to be suffering some sun burn (though im not 100% sure), even right now, even though its in the shade right now, and it just wont make any pitchers. would a greenhouse help this plant any in the warmer months? keep in mind the last 3 weeks here has only had a max temp of 75 degrees; its not super hot here yet. I found another post on here that told me what I wanted to know about using one of these small greenhouses in the winter, but what about the summer? would it help any of the above plants mentioned in the summer? also, in general, should this small greenhouse be left somewhat open, to allow good air circulation? also how much hotter(approximate estimate) does one of these small greenhouses get over the outside temperature if completely closed on a hot summer day (say ...95 degrees outside)? any ideas? thank you for any help anyone can give me on any of these questions.

Comments (6)

Sponsored