SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenwoodframed

Very large japanese maple- what variety?

greenwoodframed
8 years ago

We live in NYC and are in hardiness zone 6b.

We recently saw a japanese maple that was VERY tall- likely 30+ feet tall. It had small green leaves and a very traditional looking shape versus the very round/sprawling shapes we've seen on smaller japanese maples. My husband is in love with japanese maples of all kinds, but we've been looking for a shade tree to plant in our backyard and this seems perfect. We were actually on a tree tour when we saw this specific tree and the tour guide said that she's seen japanese maples of this size, but didn't know the specific name of this variety or where we could get one that may grow to that size.

I've spent some time googling but am unable to find the name or a place to purchase such a japanese maple. We plan to stay in our house for many years and will obviously be buying a small tree, but want to ensure that it's able to grow fairly tall and not hug the ground or be shrub-like.

Anyone have any ideas what this type of japanese maple may be called or where I could purchase one? Or know of a resource who may be able to help me figure out how that tree got to be so big?!

www.greenwoodframed.com

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio