SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisse59

"Purple Lodge" from Ludwig's

elisse59
8 years ago

Received "Purple Lodge" along with a few others two weeks ago from Ludwig's. It was a very

Roses · More Info

Roses · More Info

Roses · More Info

large healthy plant. I repotted it into a five gallon pot as seen. Ran out to snap a few photos of blooms in-between rain storms. So far is a lovely purple but hasn't been in direct scorching sun yet. Forgive my awful photo taking skills :)

Comments (94)

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Kristine, let us know if they will ship. I want to get a few roses I missed from them last yr.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Check with longagoroses as well. I'm not positive, but I think she has it .

• Related Discussions

Update on my Ludwig's roses

Q

Comments (10)
    I purchased a Belle Rouge, Bella di Todi, Roberto Capucci, St. Patrick and Calm Composure from Ludwig's and they're all doing well even in our unusual higher heat this year. The better bloomers and my two favs are: Belle Rouge and Roberto Capucci. Both have taken the heat very well by continuing to grow and bloom. If only Belle Rouge could have repelled deer, things would be close to perfect.
    ...See More

size and habit of Purple Lodge

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi; I got this lovely rose from Ludwig's. Helpmefind says its a shrub, to 39"; Ludwig's describes it as a shrub or pillar. I seem to remember reading that somebody here grew it as a climber, though I didn't come up with this in a search. Can anybody, particular in the US, comment on what its habit is like? Would it make a small climber? Thanks in advance!
    ...See More

Ludwig's

Q

Comments (528)
    Great blooms! Love the color of perfumery, Beth and now I want Purple Lodge after seeing Sheila's and John's pics. Bella di Todi is giving me some large blooms now - the fragrance is wonderful and I'm loving the buttery coloring. Fragonard took its time putting down roots but in the past week or two it has put on a lot of growth and is just starting to bloom. Bella di Todi
    ...See More

My Purple Lodge finally bloomed!

Q

Comments (32)
    Ben, I think you're right about the source of PL in this country. Mine came from Burling, and I reached out to her earlier this summer to ask about its origin. She said her plant came from Ludwig's daughter: "A few years ago, she came to the States and went in partnership with another rose grower in Arizona. His name was Taylor Francis. Their partnership ended and she was looking to start a nursery in Oregon. She stop by my nursery and she gave me some cuttings, and one of the roses was Purple Lodge. Whether it was the correct one or not, I really can't tell you." I've wondered whether the cutting Burling received was accidentally mislabeled, and it might have been a similar named rose, e.g., Purple Breeze (see link below), which looks very similär to the PL circulating here in the States. Whatever it is, it's a remarkably dark rose, repeats well and has never shown any sign of disease in my garden. I do wish we could get our hands on the PL rose they're growing in Europe, though! https://www.nirpinternational.com/en/garden-rose/209/PURPLEBREEZE
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Thanks Alana, I will check.

I'll try giving a Agave a call this morning and see what they have to say hopefully they ship there's a ton of roses on there that I would love to have.

6 years ago

I just got an email from Agave Farms and they will have purple lodge available in the fall. I just asked them if they ship so I will let you know what they say to that question.

6 years ago

Alana, They do not have purple lodge listed so I messaged them and asked if they do and then I looked down and saw that they don't ship to Oregon so even if they did carry it I wouldn't be able to get it here.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

How about Burlington?

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

I think in another thread someone said they contacted Burling and she doesn't have any available yet. She might have a waiting list tho. She said she'd put me on a waiting list for some roses I want that won't be available til Fall. Worth asking her anyway.

6 years ago

Will check, thanks

6 years ago

Burlington said that they may have it this fall that would be great.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I’m on Burling’s waiting list. :-)

6 years ago

With Burlington?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    6 years ago

Yes. Edited... I’m on Burling’s waiting list. :-)

6 years ago

Well maybe I better get myself on that waiting list too lol

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I was searching for something completely unrelated.

Now I’m about to email Burling late on a Friday night.

I blame all of you.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago

Too funny JC! And FYI it’s hardy here in the cold :)

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

So, Ludwig doesn't ship to the US?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Where is Agave Farms located? I found several - is it a nursery carrying other plants or a rose nursery?

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago

It’s in Phoenix. I don’t think they are shipping any longer though. They carry other things, not just roses.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

I’m in JC’s camp....my thumbs actually hurt from researching all the roses and hostas I find on this forum!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

contact Burlington, I'm getting Purple Lodge from her this year

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=17.18773

http://burlingtonroses.com/

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

thanks, modestgoddess!

Is it too early to order for 2020? I still haven't received my 2019 orders yet ha

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I know this is an old thread, but I am ordering a custom propagation of Purple Lodge from Freedom Roses. It is $30 plus shipping ($30 for up to three plants). Peter is a one man operation with a great reputation. I’m ogling all the wonderful roses he carries and will likely order three different roses. It is a bit of a wait, but it will be a good product. Did you find Purple Lodge somewhere else by now?

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

I’d check Burlington, I believe she carries Purple Lodge. Long Ago Roses does too, but she no longer ships West. I just pruned mine yesterday and my Purple Lodge’s branches are mixed with a hundred other roses, otherwise you’d be welcome to cuttings.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

I also got my Purple Lodge from Burlington

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

I thought I tried Burlington in 2021 and was told they are no longer shipping roses. Maybe that changed? I swore she said she was closing or retiring or something.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

No Burling is definitely still shipping, I know folks that got plants from her quite recently. There was a period of time where she needed funding to get her well drilled deeper, fortunately that came through (it’s always a water issue in California!)

Oursteelers,

My plant acutally came from MojaveMaria, she saw a post where I was looking for Purple Lodge and she sent me her plant as an Easter present, that was incredibly kind of her.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

How is Purple Lodge for all of youy ou? ? Size? Disease resistance, etc? It looks incredibly. gorgeous on HMF.

last year

Robert, thank you for the information. I did get a Purple Lodge from Burlington.

So far it's a good rose. I think that it is prettier up close than from a distance. This is year 3 so I expect it to be even better .

It's a bit darker in person

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

Thanks @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) I bet I had contacted her during that time you mentioned. It’s been off my radar ever since.

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw it’s beautiful! How does it compare to Munstead Wood (flower only, fragrance, etc) in your opinion?

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

Burling's 2022 rose list does not list it, but I would give her a call and see. I got mine from her in May 2020. I kept it in a small pot through the summer and planted in the fall. I don't fertilize the first year so mine is not that far along. It was 42"x24" in Dec. 2022 in z5a WI. The early blooms are more crimson than purple.

last year

Robert, no comparison to Munstead, so atleast not so far.

Munstead has larger blooms that look better from a distance. To me, and this is just my opinion, Purple Lodge doesn't look good from a distance but up close the bloom color is beautiful.

She is still young so that could change, hopefully this year.

Purple Lodge is healthy and bloomy and I cant remember fragrance. Hopefully someone can chime in on fragrance.

I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on this rose.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

That's super helpful @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw! In some photos they look awfully similar. I love MW, but I have yet to detect ANY fragrance on her in anyone's garden, and I don't have any issue detecting fragrance in roses. It just surprises me that I always miss it! I love her blooms tho, and I'd keep her even if I never smell it. Purple Lodge looked like a potential rival, but it seems that it is actually a fairly large rose at maturity, and so I may hold off on getting her.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I have one in the ground and two in pots. It reblooms very well. It's not immune to bs but is not terribly prone to it either. Mine is not a tall grower. The one in the ground in am sun is about 2 1/2' tall and one in a pot is about 3 1/2' tall. I have thought of it at times as Burgundy Lodge rather than Purple Lodge but later last summer it was truly purple. Blooms are a moderate size and full of petals.

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

Robert, My Munstead Wood has a very beautiful fragrance. I can definitely smell the fragrance when walking by. It is my favorite rose out of all the roses that I have. In color, Dark Desire is very close, but a different more tea rose form. When Munstead fades it is about the color of Twilight Zone in my garden in cooler conditions.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I've got to share this nutty bouquet with you. We had record breaking heat, followed by a prematurely cold fall. The roses went a little nuts, and the Twilight Zone that grows between two Munsteads produced this insane 6-7 inch bloom that's squashing the roses beneath it. It was hilarious to see. Diane, off topic

last year

NOLA, it's hard to beat Munstead for color, repeat blooms and I get terrific fragrance from mine.

The blooms on Purple Lodge are smaller but I get nice clusters.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    last year

I just purchased a Purple Lodge from Burlington late last summer. It was too close to Fall to get blooms before dormancy so I’m very excited for my first this Spring!

• John (PNW zone 8)
    last year

The more I observe 'Purple Lodge' in my garden and see the photos others in the US are posting of it, the more suspicious I am that the rose being sold in this country is not the "ORA2437" rose that's being sold in Europe as 'Purple Lodge' and 'Palais Biron' and in New Zealand as 'Purplelicious'.

The photos from Europe and New Zealand show quartered blooms that open flat, many with a button-eye that sometimes shows a lighter color on the reverse of the petals. It blooms in fat clusters of mauve and violet, sometimes magenta, and has short, possibly fuzzy sepals that peel back neatly to reveal dark pink buds.

The plant I'm growing (and seeing in other photos from the US) blooms in very double rosettes, often with stamens prominent in an open center, never with a button-eye. The color is usually shades of crimson with violet or black highlights (that frequently fade to liver brown shades in my experience!) The sepals are distinctly glandular and extend dramatically past the black-red buds with a lovely feathery point when the bud is still closed or is just opening.

I'm attaching photos of a young 'Purple Lodge' plant I encountered in Paris in 2017 (growing in a maybe 2 gallon pot outside a flower shop) and of the plant I bought from Burling in 2020. Both are young plants, but I see no sign that my rose is ever going to produce a bloom that looks like the one I saw in Paris...which more closely resembles photos of the plants grown under this name in Europe and NZ.

However, I noticed the photo on Ludwig's Roses website looks a bit familiar: open centered, prominent stamens, and even a glimpse of the glandular and longer sepals. Is it possible the rose Ludwig's is selling as 'Purple Lodge' is not 'ORA2347'? I haven't checked with Burling on the origin of her plant, but Ludwig's appears to have been the first source of 'Purple Lodge' in the US, and I would be surprised if Burling reimported it.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else wondering about these differences? And certainly, both could be true! :)

Rose in Paris:

Rose in my garden:

John

• darcyclareell
    last year

I have got to stop reading rose threads! I just added a Purple Lodge to my Spring order from Burling. Where the heck am I gonna put it is a question I can’t answer lol-

the pictures are sooo gorgeous tho - I am super excited and not one bit repentent about falling onto rose temptation yet again

• darcyclareell
    last year

@John (PNW zone 8)

both roses are so pretty - when I get some blooms off mine coming this Spring from Burling I am going to check your pictures to see which one it resembles

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

My Purple Lodge (own root in ground) is 3 years old, at the end of season was 42"x24" in z5a WI. HMF lists it as 3x2. I'm curious to know how large others have grown and in what zone? Kristine, I think we planted ours about the same time (Fall 2020). :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

My PL here is probably 3 ft at the most too, Nola. Let's hope Kristine's is more vigorous. I was surprised mine is so wimpy.

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

I'm surprised at that too Sheila in your warm zone. I'm getting a soil test done this year, maybe that will make a difference. How's your angry cat doing? The pictures were so beautiful! :)

last year

Mine is probably less than 3 feet and it did that right away but it blooms pretty well. Blooms are on the smaller side and the color is much better up close.

Hopefull that this year I will get some of those gorgeous blooms like Erasmus has. It has been very healthy but skinny whimpy canes.

last year

Nola, "Angry Juno" is doing great and is planted now in a gopher root cage. He is probably larger than Purple Lodge already. I cannot wait to see the blooms this year. They were so beautiful and the plant is so healthy.

My PL has RMV for sure.

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

Sheila, Have you always planted with gopher cages? How large does the cage/bag need to be? Glad to hear Angry Juno is doing well, please post when it's blooming, it's so beautiful!

I'm sorry your PL has RMV. I've had several people say it doesn't make a difference. but I have RMV on a grafted Golden Celebration, I received a replacement own root the next season and the own root is by far out growing and healthier than the RMV bush. Maybe it's just my garden.

Kristine, my PL is probably behind yours, I don't fertilize the first year (though I'll probably change that this year). I hope your cane's come back thicker and maybe you will share some photos? :)

last year

I started these gopher cages about 2 years ago, Nola. I use them with new rose plantings, but have not retrofitted so far. I use a 5 gallon size that I place in the planting hole and center the rose in it. Once all the soil is filled in and growth occurs I'm sure it all grows through the basket, but a gopher cannot reach the crown of the plant. This gopher hassle is new to me. I gardened in Minnesota and Alaska and did not have these gophers there that I knew of.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Sheila, I didn't have gopher, vole, or deer problems when I gardened at my previous home, in a small Idaho town not far from here. But if you're in the country like we are now, all those things are a problem. Heck we even have the random lost moose. I think east of the Rockies, gophers aren't the problem--it's ground hogs and moles, maybe. I'm no expert. Alaska is a whole different thing.

When I looked at John's photos, very lovely, I thought at least one of them looked like my two Munstead Wood (third one down). Diane

• Nola z5aWI
    last year

Sheila, I've never had problems with those but I did see a vole running along the raised bed timber last summer and it struck fear into my heart. lol. I have quite a few roses coming this year and I'm wondering if it would be worth the cost and trouble to put the bags in. First it was problems with rabbits eating everything off, so I put a rabbit fence up. Then I saw a deer in my front yard and another in the backyard 10 foot from the house this winter, that's never happened before, so maybe I'll have bigger problems. I guess I could have a trench dug around the garden and have vole fencing put in maybe 2 foot deep.

last year

Nola, I just don't know if is worth the effort either. I'm hoping for a colony collapse for these fricking voles. They definitely kill rose canes, but don't seem to kill the whole plant here. Rabbits hassle me too along with the gophers. I do have a deer fence which is a relief because deer abound here too. I guess I do not want to share with these critters. We have feral cats (I am allergic) and hawks.

I think Diane is right that I need badgers.

I do hope my plants can cope with life's travails.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!