SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phebelyn

What is wrong with my potted boxwoods?

These boxwoods were planted in the ground around the end of January 2015. Not by us, by the builder. And yes, we moved in February of that same year, from Florida, during the big snow here.

Anyway, around late spring, we transplanted the entire front bed except a Nellie R Stevens Holly, and Dwarf Alberta Spruce. We just didn't like the layout of the bed. They had a bunch of Golden Mops in there, and we transplanted those to other beds we started in the yard. They are doing really, really well.

We had a total of 7 boxwoods, in the first pic. We put them in pots until we decided where to put them. In the meantime, we watered them. Then they all started turning a tan color. We lost three. The three had all leaves turn that tan color. I had read about root rot, and thought maybe they weren't draining properly. So, we took the 4 that still had some green leaves, and repotted them with better drainage, and set them on the front porch thinking they would look nicer in pots. We've kept them watered, but they still were looking like the pics below. I tried trimming them, and getting some of the "dead" leaves off, and it seemed to help. Then late fall, I started reading where not to place them along the porch line where rain water drips on them. So, we pushed them back under the porch, and fertilized them with some miracle grow for shrubs. Then late winter, I decided to test the soil. I found they have high nitrogen, very low phosphorous, and low potash. The ph is balanced. So, I took some coffee grounds, and banana peels mixed with potting soil, and added it to each of the four pots. I've been watering them every week. The drainage has been really good. It's been about two weeks, and even though spring is here, it's still been a bit cold. I can't tell if they are looking better. The second pic looks better. Should I just give them time, put them back in the ground, or are they beyond help?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County