SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachaelfrazier8

New to SFG, need help choosing what goes where!

rachaelfrazier8
8 years ago

Well, I felt like I had done sufficient research on Pinterest to start a square foot garden (ha!) with my daughters, but now I'm becoming a little bit overwhelmed and confused.

We live in west Texas- lots of sun and little water- but are lucky enough to have a well for the garden. As this is our first go round, I only made one 4x4 raised bed from untreated 8" cedar and filled it with happy frog soil. I know that isn't by the book but the garden centers here looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about Mel's mix. The garden is sitting in a sunny area and under an arbor which I had planned to use as a trellis.

From all my first time gardening Pinterest wealth of knowledge, I had designed a plan including melon (1 plant per 2 squares), tomatoes (1 plant/square in 2 different squares), onion (9plants/square), broccoli (1plant/square) spinach (9 plants/square in two different squares), jalapeño (1 plant/square in two different squares) bell pepper (1 plant/square in two different squares and squash and zucchini (1 plant/ 2 squares). Whew. That's a lot of background info.

Anyway, as I read through threads on this forum in feeling like I've chosen far too many plants for the size of my garden. I've also heard, which seems to be refuted from another post here) that my onions and other "fragrant" veggies might cross pollinate other things and give them a bad taste.

Another thing- in the farmers almanac it says I can broccoli and spinach here in March but I've always heard that's a winter crop.

I guess I'm just looking for a little advice- a yes that should work or a no way or even a little tweaking advice. We will be planting from seed.

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

Sponsored