SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sld

Completely new to SFG. Need a 'shopping list', please.

mom2sld
18 years ago

I've been reading Mel's website and book off and on for over a year and am so excited to start. I am totally new to gardening: I have never grown a single thing except for children. I grew up in the SW desert and am now in New England-border of zones 5/6.

Please help me clarify exactly what I need to buy when I go out later this week to Home Depot or Lowes. (My toddler will be accompanying me so it's really tough to stop at a bunch of different stores. If I can get everything at one store, I will be delighted.)

I'm planning on building and planting two 4'x4'x6" raised beds. For framing, I will buy four 2"x6"x8' Douglas fir boards, cut in 4' lengths. I'll fasten it together with deck screws. I'm considering painting the outside/tops of the boxes white. Is that ok?

I will lay down newspaper to cover the sod, then fill with Mel's mix. For the squares I have a stack of vinyl 1" blind slats. I figure that I need 8-9 cubic feet of "soil" soil for each box.

As for the mix, can someone please tell me exactly what to get and about what it will cost? Are there names/brands to look for or avoid? Will I be able to get everything at Lowes/Home Depot? If not, where? I haven't started composting yet, so I will have to purchase that too. Is it sold in these stores? Has anyone not used Mel's mix, but a different mixture with great results?

Thank you so much if you can help. I'm so new to gardening and I'm a bit afraid that if I don't have at least some success with this, my first garden, I'll never do it again.

Oh, one more question. For the two 4x4 gardens I described above, about how much will it cost to start? $50? More, less? I've been to HD with my husband twice in the last two weeks and both times we were in a rush for time and had our too-tired little guy with us, so I couldn't walk around looking and pricing things.

Thank you so, so much if you can help me!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus