SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luaithrinn

To level or not to level? Neglected yard to cutting garden

8 years ago

Hello!

(tl;dr: I am turning about 1500 sq ft into a garden/farm space, 750 will be for growing, the rest is in shade. The ground is at different levels all over the place. I'll be laying down cardboard - I'm wondering if I should bother trying to level the yard first or just do the cardboard and add the soil/mulch on top until it's level that way?)

Not a great example, but you can see the drop from where my son is standing, and then it goes up again. It's not even just because this was, at some point 10+ years ago, a raised bed. It's like that all over. (Those logs are coming out.)

I'm redoing half a yard which is very boggy in winter. It dries right up in spring and summer, the soil is clay-loam. Anyway! As a result of the bogginess and some other things, it's kind of uneven in some places - some areas it's just a slight dip, other places it's about 4 inches. I removed A LOT of blackberry brambles and that portion (300 sq ft) is at the original level of the yard, nice and high and dry.

I am going to be laying cardboard, then the dirt (and wood chips for this year's pathways) to make mounded (or contained - depending upon the budget) raised beds. I'm wondering if I should bring in a bit of soil before laying cardboard, just to even things out a little bit - I know it'll settle, though.

The amount of soil/compost I'll be bringing in is a lot (especially considering I have to get it ALL in with a wheelbarrow, through a narrow gate) somewhere around 20 yards. Should I bring in a smaller load before hand, just to get a more even starting surface? Or should I just lay the cardboard out, and pile it on. I know there'll be a bit of settling either way.

Re-doing the entire yard with machines isn't an option and if it were, it'd be the last one.

(If it matters, about 95% of what I'm growing will be flowers.)

Thank you so much for any advice at all! I really appreciate it!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions