SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Suggestion for when you see pattern of 'brain fog'

Lynn Nevins
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As I am starting to notice and realize I am having depression, anxiety and a general inability for my brain to function as well at the office, I am trying to attack this from all angles and am doing lots of research on my own. I am also trying to be very aware of what's going on with me, and detecting certain patterns.

One thing that's happening with me is that often shortly before dusk, I start to feel a general anxiety, and often depression. I've read (odd as it may sound...) that carbohydrates can impact your serotonin levels, and that it can be helpful if you eat Low-Fat carbs 2-3 times per day. Snacking on Low-Fat sweet-potato chips can be good, as is oatmeal. You don't want to snack on processed foods such as cookies, crackers, sugary cereals.

I am also trying to harness the earlier hours in my day, to accomplish the bulk of my work...especially work where I really need to organize my thoughts and use my brain. That way, should I find a dip in my mood and cognitive abilities in the afternoon/early evening, at least I don't feel so behind the 8-ball (because I managed to accomplish a decent amount of brain work earlier in the day).

And while I've always had a pretty healthy diet overall, I am trying to be even more vigilant in ensuring my diet is not negatively impacting my mood in any way, and that if anything, certain foods could help improve it. In addition to low-fat carbs, I've heard that Vitamin B can have domino effect on mood, and that legumes and grains are very helpful. And of course, limiting sugar and caffeine (since both can create unnatural "highs" in your body, which are then often followed by a big 'drop' in mood/energy later in the day...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21