User
8 years ago

Before husband comes home:

After husband comes home:

Do you have any Before/Afters? :D

Comments (44)

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    8 years ago

I love it! The same thing happens to my dining room table after DH gets home from work.

User thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Yes, our tub in the master bathroom after DH changes clothes. It's right next to DH's sink on his side of the bathroom. Thank you MizGG for not being afraid to post yours!

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I love it!!

User thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • User
    8 years ago

Get one of these :) Wonderful organizer !! I found it at a thrift/antique shop years and years ago for a few $. It even has a change cup on top...he uses it as you can see. Can put shoes at the bottom. Takes the place of his gentleman's gentleman ...he is on vacation LOL !! c

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great idea, trailrunner, thank you! It would fit perfectly where the chair is now, love that! I can relocate my sweet chair ... it was my Dad's office chair in the 70s, I remember him staining it. It has made a lot of moves over the years. :)

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

Does it count if I take the afters now then clean up a bit?

User thanked missymoo12
  • User
    8 years ago

Charming chair and I love the pillow. I feel so good when I rid clutter!

User thanked User
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

Love your chair and pillow. It's amazing how men can turn a lovely area into something that resembles a men's locker room in the space of 30 seconds.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • msmeow
    8 years ago

LOL, MizGG! Mine used to make what we called his "nest" beside the bed. Pretty much everything he wore for the week went onto the pile then he put it all in the laundry baskets on Saturday morning (laundry day). He knew if it wasn't in the basket, I wasn't washing it.

Don't know why, but he doesn't do that any more. Except his smelly work clothes are banished to the garage until he washes them.

Donna

User thanked msmeow
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I always said I could trace my late husband's activities when I wasn't home, by following the path of discarded clothing. No pics, but when we worked different shifts, I once came home and found the hand mixer in the bathroom. ?! When I finally remembered to ask him why it was there, he had no clue.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, now I really want to know why the hand mixer was in the bathroom, that is hilarious. :D

With my late husband, he was the neat freak, and I was the one who left things out. Now the roles are reversed! I told Mr G, "Now I know what it was like being married to me!"

(((mama goose)))

• User
    8 years ago

LOL! Oh, yes - I have quite a few of those "afters" but I always clean them up before I take the pics that end up being posted here. I'm such a phony! ;-) DH always has stuff that he brings home from the gym (awful looking, gigantic plastic shakers that he uses for his protein drinks, for instance) and apparently the kitchen counters are where those things "go". Really ruins the vignettes I've tried to create with my pretty blue and white Cornishware, but he gets fussy if I "hide" them out of sight. So they remain in full view, and I just try to avert my eyes.

Since DH's domain is upstairs (his "snore room"), I just tend to keep my distance. When I do go into his space, I am often compelled to nag ("Dude - have you noticed the toothpaste splatters on your mirror?!? Gross!") or start picking up his discarded socks from the floor.

User thanked User
  • msmeow
    8 years ago

Yeah, Jen - mine plops the mail and receipts on the kitchen counter, and they will lie there until they decompose unless I put them away.

When we were newlyweds I used to follow him around picking up after him, but after a while I got less A/R (If that's possible) and he got better about picking things up. I guess now after nearly 33 years we've reached equilibrium.

Donna

User thanked msmeow
  • salonva
    8 years ago

I love this so much. Thank you for the reality check.

User thanked salonva
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

This is decorating I can relate to! I should take a pic of DH's bathroom floor. He throws clothes on the floor *next* to the hamper. Because he *might* wear them again, so he doesn't want to put them in the hamper. ??? It also makes me crazy when he hangs jackets on the back of chairs, and hats and shirts on our bedposts. I can't even describe The Pile of Stuff he has in a corner of our kitchen. I have tried every kind of organization, and The Pile can't be tamed.

User thanked jlc712
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Note the Mets hats:

User thanked jlc712
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Lol. that's awesome.

User thanked tibbrix
  • User
    8 years ago

I have just noticed that DH is now using a bathroom sink faucet as a hat hanger. WTH?!?

User thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Pre-Husband

Post Husband:

He is semi-neat, but he swims and does CrossFit every. single day. during the week and my beautiful laundry room becomes his dumping station each afternoon. The slip-on clog like shoes are for taking the dogs out when he's home. They are suppose to be in the hall closet...

He also uses both sides of the door as a clothes rack - this drives me a bit nuts, and if something is there when I wake up in the morning, it goes to the back so I don't see it while I'm home.

At least this is the only place in the house he "junks up."

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jlc, we have the same bed! I will not show DH your picture, because he hasn't thought of using the posts as cap racks yet ... they're usually on my poor little chair. :D

This man has a nice walk-in closet of his own -- plenty of shelves, hanging bars, hooks. The closet is like new, since it's rarely used!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love it, Allison! Looks similar to my counters. :D

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

That pre-schooler has a great future ahead of him.

User thanked happy2b…gw
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The four year old's "trail" is so cute! :D

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Ladies! What went wrong during your husband-training days? My DH takes his clothes off and puts them in the laundry basket in the laundry room :) It's directly across the hall from his bathroom. Now, if I could only get him to take his clothes off right-side out! I haven't really asked. I've hinted. I hate to push my luck <lol>

User thanked monicakm_gw
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

I am like your husband. It can work both ways. I travel so much for work that I often don't unpack until I have to fill the suitcase back up for the next trip.

I like to say it's because we need to do a second story addition Master suite with an elevator because there is no good place for stairs.

Yes. We live in a small home in a simple neighborhood.

My DH says it's because I have too many clothes.

My closet is only 60" wide. Imagine what I could do with that upstairs master suite..........

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I love this thread! I don't feel so alone. I have to say, DH is generally pretty good about putting his dirties in the hamper. But he does have that little interim pile that stays on the tub. You know, like a t-shirt he had on last night and might put on again this morning. And how many work gloves does the man need? Fortunately those are on a shelf in the garage. I was cleaning off my shelf (yard shoes and stuff) a few weeks back. He had an entire shelf that was mostly work gloves! I swear I stopped counting at 15 pair.

• User
    8 years ago

My DH is actually trained really well! His swim towel goes in the dryer, the trunks are over the faucet, shower shoes drying in the sink - once all are dry, they are back in their bags (hadn't done that when pic was taken, but they are up now). He takes his dirty clothes bag down to his lower level laundry room (he does his own laundry there!) and gets his clean work out clothes for the next day (t-shirt far left, not sure where shorts are... didn't look underneath). He puts his giant bag in the hallway closet from Fri pm to Sun pm.

I'm not sure what possesses him to hang the clothes on the door lever - that's his "around the house, after work" clothes. If there is more than one set, I will usually toss extras in his laundry room when I go downstairs. It will be cold in the morning, so he'll wear what's on the right when he goes out with the dogs.

DH would be embarrassed to see these posted. :D He is actually very helpful around the house. Anytime I've had surgery, he vacuumed for months without a complaint. Loves to cook, and I like to do dishes, so it evens out. We'll be married 35 years end of year, so I'd say he's a keeper.

User thanked User
  • aok27502
    8 years ago

I think jlc712 might be married to my husband's long lost brother. :) I have a hamper on his side of the bedroom, maybe 7' from the bed. When he undressed in the past, the clothes would end up in a pile on the floor near the hamper. So I put an empty laundry basket half way between. Now, the clothes end up on the floor next to the basket. Literally within arm's reach, if he would just extend his arm. *sigh*

His shoes live permanently in the kitchen, under the counter overhang. He has taken over half of the kitchen table for his 'stuff'. I would take a before/after, but it never changes!!!

And yes, I have lowered my standards quite a bit over the last 29 years (next month). In reality, I gave up.

User thanked aok27502
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ahh, yes, shoes. I'm going to end up on crutches one of these days! Recent incidents:

Slippers left in the living room, which I tripped over in the dark, then hit the coffee table with my shin. I may have let loose with a few choice words. :D

Same slippers in the bedroom, which I tripped over carrying two full coffee mugs early one morning.

Those slippers have it out for me! Apparently, they move themselves, since he claims he "didn't leave them there".

One day, I found three pairs of shoes under the coffee table. I put them all on his favorite spot on the sofa, and cracked up when he came in the living room to sit down.

He's a keeper, too. :) I just need to lock those slippers up at night!

(He read this thread and laughed. He could post a few things about me, too!) :D

• jlc712
    8 years ago

I love this post :-) "Real talk", as the kids say. I never want to post pictures of my house here, because so many of you have such magazine-worthy homes. I feel better :-)

User thanked jlc712
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Yes, yes, all of the above! But I don't have the heart to post before/after, since it's his birthday. Instead I will show the pretzel crusted peanut butter pie I just made for him :)

User thanked Errant_gw
  • olychick
    8 years ago

WHAT????!!!!!!

User thanked olychick
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

You just HAD to post that didn't you, Errant! Looks delicious! I guess your after will be an empty dish! And happy birthday to your DH!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Happy Birthday to Mr Errant! That pie looks amazing. :)

• scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

For those who are afraid to post pictures because of all the magazine worthy homes, this should make you feel better! Another before and after courtesy of my toddler tornado. He stalks his big brother's door and lunges at it whenever it opens so he can play with the Lego:

User thanked scoutfinch72
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Happy Birthday Mr. E! Looks like Mrs. E is trying to put her hubby into a sugar induced coma! Hmmmm.....Where's Columbo when you need him?

User thanked tibbrix
  • runninginplace
    8 years ago

My standing joke is that I've never lived with a guy, as defined above where guy=leaving things dropped or placed in wrong spots all over the house.

I married a man who is neat as a pin which is a mixed blessing for someone who is also neat as a pin, because our children grew up in a bizarrely tidy and organized home. Have never seen him even leave a sock out, much less all the stuff in these pictures :).

Actually it made the shock that much greater when I gave birth to a darling male child who grew into a guy! My daughter still laughs about how I always, every-single-time, made him pick up the shoes he tried to leave next to the back door and take them into his room-and where he got that idea I cannot fathom since he NEVER saw any one else do it.

He lives with his fiancée now who says he is indeed a clothes dropper. She told me he can open the front door in full uniform (he's a law enforcement officer with the NPS) and in less than 30 seconds be in the kitchen which is ~ 30 feet away wearing only his boxers LOL.

User thanked runninginplace
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

both of us (especially me!) can be clutter bugs, so there are many areas of the house that could be picture worthy!! actually, right now, the before and after would be reversed in many areas of our home- the before being the messy state!! :o

User thanked busybee3
  • msmeow
    8 years ago

Errant, happy BD to your hubby! Would you send me one of those PB pies in October for my DH's BD? LOL He loves PB pie.

Scoutfinch, that toddler is something else!

MizGG, I've had shoe issues, too. DH tends to leave them sticking out from under the coffee table just far enough to trip over them in the dark. :)

Donna

User thanked msmeow
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had shoe nightmares last night. See what I deal with? I know it's you, Slippers, the disguise won't work!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Yep, my DH has never met the back of a chair that can easily be a depository for shirts, jackets, etc. it drives me nuts, I like my things to be put away neatly behind closed doors.

User thanked Holly- Kay
  • suero
    8 years ago

MizGG,

I noticed a bouquet of flowers in the "before" picture. It appears to me that your decorator husband was trying, with some success, I might add, to bring a pop of a flower color to another part of the room.

User thanked suero
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Suero, lol!