Does a wine cellar in the basement need insulation in the floor?

marcusaurel

I am building a new house with a wine cellar in the basement. the walls will have above R 25 and the ceiling above R30 insulation with a cooling system. Is insulation the floor a positive to keep a cool constant or will it hinder warm air to find a way to escape the room???

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

The ground beneath your floor will insulate that cool space better than anything you could add.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
IWA Wine Accessories

Since you are installing a cooling system, it suggests that the temperature without the cooling system is warmer than desired. If this is correct, then the best thing you can do is insulate all the surfaces with the highest R-Value insulation that you can afford. The good news is that the floor will have the coolest temperatures of the six surfaces in your cellar, so if you don't insulate the floor, it will have the least thermal impact on your cellar.

By way of example, I used our thermal load worksheet to calculate the thermal load of a 10x10x10 cellar assuming R25 in the walls, R30 in the ceiling. 85F peak temp outside the cellar. and 55F desired temp inside the cellar. If I assume uninsulated concrete in the floor, the thermal load of the cellar is 3005 BTUH. If I assume R25 in the floor, the thermal load declines to 2765 BTUH.

If you'd like me to plug in your actual cellar dimensions and/or want to add additional factors (eg ducting, heat source inside the cellar, altitude), let me know and I'll be glad to redo the calculation.

I hope this helps!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inside Houzz How Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Green Building Ecofriendly Cool: Insulate With Wool, Cork, Old Denim and More
Learn about the pros and cons of healthier alternatives to fiberglass and foam, and when to consider an insulation switch
Full Story
Wine Cellars 8 Tips to Transform Your Basement Into a Wine Cellar
Enjoy a "very good year" as often as you like when you curate favorite vintages in your own basement wine cellar
Full Story
At Forward Design Build, we tailor every design to fit our clients’ styles and to accommodate their needs. We... Read More
GLM Installations is a Michigan-based contracting company with over 30 years of experience. We do everything from... Read More