SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Help! My light granite is turning dark!

shead
8 years ago

I'm not sure if this is due to how it has been cleaned (vinegar and water, mostly) or due to defective/inadequate sealing but my once-beautiful Kashmir White granite is getting noticeably darker over the course of time. I have called granite fabricators and natural stone restorers and they are all perplexed. It is not just in spots, either, it is my entire kitchen, especially my 4.5' x 10' island.

I have reason to believe that the original fabricator may not be the most up and up business owner, but what is confusing is that the same granite is in my laundry room and has no color change over the same period of time. That leads me to believe that daily use, sunlight, cleaning, etc. has led to the darkening of it.

Has anyone else experienced this with light granite?

Right now, I'm in the tedious process of covering the entire area with a poultice of baking soda and pure acetone, covering overnight and then allowing to air dry and it seems to be bringing back the original color. I can only do about a 2x2 square at a time because of the fumes. However, once the island is complete, I'm going to seal it with Dupont Bullet Proof sealer and see how well the color stays before proceeding with the perimeter countertops, which are less noticeable than the huge island.

Do you have any other suggestions on how I can keep my light granite light or what I can clean it with that won't alter the color over time?

Comments (163)