SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaymarie79

Open Galley Layout--Advice Much Appreciated!!

lindsaymarie79
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

After months (years) of hoping and thinking about redoing our kitchen and studying many existing threads on these forums, I think we are finally to the point where I could use some feedback as we plan to move forward.

We live in a 1955 split level (though it is a less common layout than some, entering on the main level into a foyer with a small closet, the living room to the right, and the dining room and kitchen to the left.

Our kitchen is 8x14 and originally had pocket doors to the dining room and foyer.

When we were first looking to buy this house, we both looked at the kitchen and thought, "It'll be fine--its about the size of our old one." Our old kitchen is one we gutted and remodeled in our little city row home, and it was very functional, and we loved it. However, "about" was the right word. An extra foot in width and optimal window placement made this different. I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to think that while we love so much about our current home (no plans to leave), I can't manage to fit an ideal kitchen in the space!

In our old kitchen, we were able to move a doorway over and make it a true galley, but there are stairs in the way here. It was an L shaped kitchen with a half counter and some uppers added above during a 1980s revamping that included putting in a big slider window to take up the entire 8 ft. end of the kitchen. To say that window is awkward to work with is an understatement.

Here is a picture of what we currently have taken right after we opened the wall and added a peninsula and a tall cabinet (in front of the window). It has been a definite improvement, though, the metal cabinets we inherited (already painted hospital white by the original owners who apparently tired of their choices from when the house was built) are not holding our green paint well and are frustrating functionally as well.

We have 5 boys and are expecting another, and I homeschool, so we cook three meals a day in our kitchen. It works hard!

One part of the kitchen I inherited that I like is a 36 inch cooktop and double ovens. I'd never had either before but really want to keep both even though I know that spacewise a range could make better sense. I plan on keeping both until A) we finally get gas on our street--a slow process or B) the 1970s ovens die.

Also, the cabinets we added are Ikea, and even though they are Akurum, we are hoping to use those in the remodel and fill in with either other Sektion cabinets or custom built cabinets by my husband (who is a skilled woodworker and plans to make the fronts for the cabs to make them all cohesive).

So this is what we currently have from a few years ago when we first took out the wall. The original doorway to the dining room was on teh right, but adding the peninsula moved it to the end, something I have long thought was an improvement since we don't feel so bottlenecked. Of course, the open space and access to the stool seating and large workspace also mitigates that feeling.

Here is another older view. We did manage to paint the tall cabinet and put in a simple cornice over the window that help incorporate the new design into a more cohesive 1950s layout, but functionally, this is what we have. The kitchen cart from the first photo is now around the corner in the dining room with shelves over as a sort of coffee/tea station.

The first cabinet in the peninsula run is 30" full depth set back into the dining room, allowing for the doorway tot he kitchen from the foyer, and then a 21 inch that we modified to have a pull out for small appliances and a place to store the griddle we use multiple times a week, and another 30 inch cab that holds most of the dishes for setting the table in close proximity to the (new) doorway to the dining room.

In all of my sketching and reconfiguring, I cannot see how the L is the best way to use the space. It is not wide, and blind corners don't seem to replace what is lost. Please let me know if I am missing something here!!

This is the plan we are currently leaning towards. I am planning to keep the 24 inch ovens for the time being. My husband built the cabinet to span those with the fridge, and they work fine if an eyesore. I realize that in replacing them someday, I will want bigger ovens because the interior of these are bigger than the ovens on the market today. Right now I can fit half-sheet jelly roll pans, one on each oven rack, and it isn't uncommon for us to use both ovens to prepare a meal or have someone baking while dinner is roasting. Anyway, the extra inches at the far right will have filler but allow for us to built a cabinet to house bigger ovens down the road, and my husband will replace the built in over the two to be fitted. In the plan, I just used a 24 inch cabinet to get a better sense for what the space will look like with this plan, and Ikea doesn't sell 24 inch oven cabinets.

I put an asterisk next to the cabinets we currently own and hope to reuse. I also have pegboard on the side of the tall cabinet with pans we use
regularly and plan to use it again on the side of the refrigerator run
in my proposed design.

Even the 9" Spice rack pull-out is something my husband picked up at the Restore for a song and is currently housing dvds in the laundry room, lol. I wasn't sure how to incorporate it until I saw this kitchen, and my husband has the skills to incorporate it into the run as seen here, though maybe set back a bit since we want the pantry and ovens pulled flush with the front of the fridge: [https://www.houzz.com/photos/open-concept-kitchen-and-living-area-traditional-kitchen-philadelphia-phvw-vp~12390910(https://www.houzz.com/photos/open-concept-kitchen-and-living-area-traditional-kitchen-philadelphia-phvw-vp~12390910)

I also like how the spice rack makes the space around the exhaust fan more symmetrical.

Anyway, with this plan, the only cabinets we'll either be buying or building are the cooktop cabinet (I really want drawers under the cooktop!) and the sink cabinet and a second dishwasher or cabinet to fit that space if you all convince me otherwise. The second dishwasher was a recent idea, one that is appealing but on which we are likely flexible. We will also add open shelves on the little jut out, likely on both sides of the room but maybe not in teh dining room since our "coffee station" will necessarily move to the space to the right of the sink. We also plan to add shelves to either side of the exhaust hood, but maybe not depending on our storage needs. I do feel that the large window makes uppers awkward since they must arbitrarily stop before running into it.

And I think this first version I did without the dining room makes it easier to visualize the working space.

Things that worry me:

1) Cooktop opposite sink. Seems more ideal to me than both places being oriented toward the corner in the current layout, but I know it is considered by many to be a safety hazard, especially with children and pets. It is also thought to make it more difficult for multiple cooks/zones for working, which we have lots of kitchen helpers here, but there is 43 inches between, so not the problem it might be in a smaller space.

2) A bottle-necked feeling I had so enjoyed losing in my current kitchen manifestation, though I admit, there was a lot going on to help with that, so maybe the opposite doorways are not essential for that. Moving the opening back to the right will certainly mean that when the kids and dog are running in circles, they will more readily bypass the work zones of the kitchen.

3) I did like that both sides of the peninsula were available to a line of guests when hosting large parties, something we do a few times a year. The two entrances to the foyer from the kitchen and dining room made the current peninsula function more like an island, but the proposed configuration allows for more counter space a bigger sink, and the two dishwashers..

Here are some of the preliminary layouts we came up with before we started to lean towards moving the peninsula. In both these designs, I planned to replace the first 30 inch set of drawers on teh peninsula run with 15 inch depth allowing for more stool space in the dining room.

And in this next one, the ovens in front of the windows would have the cabinet stopping just above the ovens, making a shorter cabinet that feels more free-standing than fitted. I was hoping to put the ovens there while tempering the impact of having them in front of the window, but there is no real way to render that in Ikea's software.

I liked both these plans and realize that our liking the newer plan might not be because it is in face better but because we have just been too deep in this!

Thank you so much for any advice and insights you can offer!

Comments (24)