SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northraleighguy

Need shrub ideas for southern-facing border in 7b

northraleighguy
8 years ago

My house has zero landscaping on the southern side - just yard all the way up to the wall. I'd like to extend a foundation bed out about 6 feet. I guess I'll bullet out the salient points:

• 40 foot length, 6 foot width. No, I don't mind if the shrubs stick out a bit, although a 10 foot shrub would be pushing it mightily. And I am thinking mostly of shrubs, only because I'm running out of ideas of small native trees that are decent near a foundation. But I have a limited imagination.
  • It's the south side of the house in 7b, so yes it gets sunny exposure almost all day long. The land slopes gradually away from the house so not wet, maybe even average to dryish? It's at this point I found so many shrubs don't like the afternoon sun, which is pretty much all this exposure has so that's a bummer.
  • I love natives. If not native, than it at least needs to attract birds, bees, and/or butterflies (I have butterfly bushes, my main exception). Fragrant flowers are a plus but not must-have.
  • I think an evergreen/deciduous mix would be nice rather than a line of buxus meatballs or conical conifers.
  • Plants rolling around in my head are aronia arbutifolia, ptelea trifoliata, viburnum spp., ilex glabra. Had prunus caroliniana in mind also but heard they spread like wildfire and smell like dirty underwear.
  • I love viburnums (dentatum, nudum) but I know most of the native ones don't like full sun? v. carlesii and v. juddii cultivars sound interesting because they're fragrant even though not native.

I think that's it. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (4)